Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to connect and retain connection to Cable Modem via Wireless Access Point

Default How to connect and retain connection to Cable Modem via Wireless Access Point

I have configured my ADSL router as access point to my Cable Modem. Every thing works fine except that whenever network goes down, I am unable to reconnect to my Modem. Pls help to get the configuration right so that I can maintain connection.

My network:

Cable Modem ---Ethernet-->ADSL Router---Wireless---> Laptop

Cable Modem: Scientfic Atlanta Model DPC2203
    Router: 3Com Officeconnect ADSL 11g Model WL-552
    Laptop: Lenovo 0769

I have disabled everything in my router including firewall to work as a switch and access point. It works perfectly until ether when power or internet goes down. After that what ever I do I get 169.*.*.* IP address even after powercycling. How to get modem release IP to my laptop via router?

Could some one help me to find whats goin wrong?

Thank you

Default Re: How to connect and retain connection to Cable Modem via Wireless Access Point

I think that seemed normal. I suggest you update your router's firmware. Try logging in to your router and fix the DHCP range what ip ranges you wish like 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 this would make your router's IP 192.168.0.1

See manual or web manual on their website. Or try typing in your browser 169.*.*.*.1 then login as admin / admin
    Last edited by pogsnet; 05-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please see My Websites: PixShare - Free Photo Hosting | PixProxy - Stealth Browsing

Default Re: How to connect and retain connection to Cable Modem via Wireless Access Point

on your IP problem, you can connect to your routers GUI, type the router's IP, I think you can see that on you LAN as your gateway. Type that IP address in you browser. Login as admin without pass or user: admin pass: admin
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please see My Websites: PixShare - Free Photo Hosting | PixProxy - Stealth Browsing

For what it is worth, I have a Windows Vista, SP2 machine with a PCI N version D-link wireless card to an Asus N version wireless switch connected to an ADSL bridge. I would occasionally lose my internet connection. I could see the router.

My other machine has a PCIe version of the D-link wireless card, with the OS Windows 7 Ultimate. I am reliably connected to the internet.

I conclude, in my case, that it is OS dependant. This does not rule out that changes to the router may help.

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

Thread Information