Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My Dilemma: DSL or Cable?

Well I have been looking into cable and DSL providers in my area. My brother currently has AT&T cable internet. It has currently been really slow for him. I read an article about mediaone's service (the one that provides him with his connection) and how the demand has been so high that they havent been able to cope... Anyway there is a DSL provider in my area that will provide an ADSL connection @ 768kb. Now would this DSL connection be about the same speed as a cable modem connection?

Thanks,

-PGA1234
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Quite frankly anything is better than dailup but ask ya friend what speeds he's been getting lately from cable and then weigh up the diffences in speed and price to come up with what would better suit you. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Well my main question is... Will I have any lag in an online game with ADSL @ 768kbs?

I can't really say but at that speed ya shouldn't have to much difference you'd think. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah, I just don't want lag! Hmmmm, maybe I'll just get I2 installed.... 250k install and 50k a year not too much... I guess I will go and do that. :shoot3: : peace2:

Beefy Guest

With ADSL you are guaranteed a good connection, whereas with cable the more users in your area, the worse it is. ADSL still gives good pings / no lag. I play online with my ADSL, and usually get pings around 60-80... ;)

Great ping beefy... but one Q... What is your connection speed? ADSL comes in various speeds.... 384kbs, 512kbs, 784kbs, and 1.5mpbs... So what are you at?

BTW One of the reasons i'm thinking about ADSL is because my bro is getting terrible connections. I would most likely be on the same VLAN...

Beefy Guest

I've got a 512/128 connection.. Downloads peak at around 55k, uploads at about 13k... Still a good connection though.

Ok cool... I will probably have a little faster than that. I would still like to get cable though.

Thread Information