Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help using WOL (Wake on LAN)

You are correct that the newer hardware does not need a cable. The power and communication is done through the pci bus. One other thought I had though. I've had problems with nics before when they were not in bus-mastering slots (drivers not setting up right, plug and play issues, defaulting to 10mbps, etc,). I don't know if it can effect WOL, but you might try moving the nic to a higher slot. Also see if your mobo supplies standby power to all of the slots. I would also think that the Enlight branded psu would meet the specs.

I moved the NIC card to the slot right next to the Video - no luck.

It could be a problem with this Ausu A7V266 MB. It so happens this same board will not run my AMD XP 1700+ processor at rated speed (1463) no matter what I try. It just wants to run at the "safe" speed of 1100.

I'm about ready to order another (different) board.

Jim

Sorry nothing worked.

Smile Freeware tool

Another freeware tool for WOL http://www.fusion-online.com.ar/products/wol/

To change the mac address under windows http://www.fusion-online.com.ar/products/macip/

It works perfectly.

Default Re: Need help using WOL (Wake on LAN)

Quote Originally Posted by jim31
    I know everybody talks about the cable between the MB and NIC card but apparently newer MB's and and NIC's no longer use these cables. Linksys tells me its done through software.
    that is only the case if both the card and the mobo are both PCI v2.2 or better. It sounds like your NIC is, but you'll have to find out if your mobo is as well. If one is not, you will need the WOL cable between the NIC and the mobo.

Be sure you are using the latest manufacturer's drivers and not the ones provided my microsoft so you have all the possible options available.

I assume you know you need special software to send the magic packet on the PC you are using to wake up the PC we're discussing. There's even online java apps, such as this one, although it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while (winipcfg is a 9x utility, ipconfig is used in nt line)
    #

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information