Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help using WOL (Wake on LAN)

Am I mistaken, if you have a NIC card and motherboard that supports WOL, shouldn't you be able to turn on a remote PC either through the Internet or your LAN?

I guess I don't understand how this is accomplished if the PC is powered down - how does the NIC card turn on the computer?

I'm using the "Wake on LAN Magic Packet" program but I've not been able to start up my remote Windows XP Pro PC.

I have the MAC and Internet addresses set correctly, the BIOS is set to WOL, and I believe I have the network card configured correctly.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jim

does you nic support WOL and do you have the WOL cable?

I'm using a Linksys LNE100TX NIC card with WOL support. However, these newer cards do not use a seperate cable to the motherboard.

Jim

Wol works by having the network card constantly powered with 5v, so it's not really off. It recieves a "magic packet" which tells it to signal the motherboard, which switches on the power supply. As I understand it, if your card and mobo are properly configured, the power light on the nic stays on when the machine is shut down. There are a couple of settings to check.

open: start, settings, network connections
    right click the "local area connection", choose "properties
    your adapter is listed under the "connect using:" header
    click the "configure" button
    click the "power management" tab
    check the "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" box

You also need to set your power options in control panel to either prompt you or go to sleep.

I'm beginning to believe my problem lies in the fact that the NIC card is not powered up when the PC is off - the NIC lights are not on!

I checked your other suggestions and everything appears correct.

I will have to look over the MB again to see if I missed anything. Right now all I did was set the BIOS to "enable WOL".

Many thanks.

Jim

I looked over the motherboard manual (Asus A7V266) once again and can find no reason that the NIC card is not powered up when the computer is off.

BIOS is set to enable WOL.

Jim

In the power options section of control panel, under the "advanced" tab, is the "when I press the power button on my computer" selection set for standby? Also the power supply in the box must be compliant to allow for WOL.

I tried your latest suggestion by putting the power switch in "stand by" but still no power light on the NIC card.

I'm using a 300w PS on the motherboard.

Thanks

Jim

The power rating has no effect. The power supply must meet certain specs. The following link is for a specific mobo, but other than the min current spec, should gennerally apply.

http://www.supermicro.com/TECHSUPPORT/FAQs/WOL_FAQ.htm

My Enlight Corp PS is rated at 25a on the +5v supply lead and 1.5a on the +5vSB (I guess that means Stand by).

I know everybody talks about the cable between the MB and NIC card but apparently newer MB's and and NIC's no longer use these cables. Linksys tells me its done through software. The configuration for that card has the following options:

APM Mode Wakeup enabled
    Flow Control enabled
    Link Wakeup off to on enabled
    Link Wakeup on to off enabled
    Magic Packet Wake Up enabled
    Media Type autosense
    Priority Type diabled
    VLAN ID blank
    Wake on LAN enabled

I've changed some settings but it does not make any difference.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information