Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 802.11b vs 802.11a

JediAgent

My error! It was not interference that I thought I remembered, But the 5gz frequency that can limit the range of rev.a . That and it seems that most manufacturers have a sort of "turbo mode" for their rev. a products which is rather proprietary and dosn't work between brands. Yep, I've got a mind like a steel sieve.

^^^^^

Apparently, the best brand to go with for cross-operability with wireless is D-Link...

Incidentally, this question came up at our gathering, does anyone know what point-to-multipoint mode on an AP does?

A Point-to-Multipoint function on a wireless AP makes it so that one AP can transmit to another AP thus doubling the possible Wireless clients and increasing the range of the whole network, but i think one or both needs to have routing functions built in...

... i think.

That's what we were hoping/thinking... we know that you can use an AP as a client, but haven't yet been able to get one working so that it can host clients and still transfer data with another AP...

Yeah we're pretty certain that it will talk to other AP's while still accept connections from clients...we will know if this is correct or not for certain soon, once we've gotten the base network setup with a few users to test it with...

As with who the best manufacturer is...I strongly stand by D-Link...all the hardware we currently have are D-Link products, and none of it has missed a beat :)
    Not to mention the capabilities of it being able to reach 22mps (yes, this is a marketing tactic, but from our tests you actually do get quiet a bit more speed) with the new Texas Instruments chipsets...unfortunately there isnt any linux support for the cards because of the new chipset as yet, but is suspected to be by early next year...

btw, none of you will probably believe this but I'll tell you anyway, I still don't believe/know how the hell it happened either...when we were out testing a couple of weeks ago, we were at this same location that Osiris was talking about for the meeting (1.7kms away), and had connected via a 24dB direction Galaxy dish...so i was pinging to machine at the other end with the -t trigger to continually ping, we then unplugged the directional and while the AP was just sitting there, using its little 4dB internal antenna, it was still pinging over this 1.7km distance!!! we both looked at each other and go WTF?! lol...we haven't been able to do it again since, i guess it was a one time sort of thing...

Also, if you intend to run 802.11b, and want it to be secure, _do not_ rely on its WEP security key...i suggested you disable this, and then run the entire network through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)...the WEP key is easily breakable, but a VPN isn't :)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information