Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance

Okay, I'll try it when I get home. One thing that has just occured to me. Re-reading the the modem manual, it says the modem comes with a "crossed" ethernet cable. I had to make one for the other pc. I think I might have made mine "straight". This might explain why that pc wouldnt work,and the other one did.
    The only thing about that theory is that I tried that computer all by itself (after I made the cable) and it worked fine...

Ok then, for the current time, use that cross over cable that came with the modem between it and the Windows XP machine. When we get the connection back the way it was, then we'll work with the router.

Okay.....Thanks for the help..I checked the cable that came with the modem yesterday, and thought it was "straight thru".
    The manual says it should be "Crossed". Might be a manual typo who knows.....lol

Had to return the dsl modem to the phone co-op for a replacement. This one is supposed to be set up as a straight through modem.When connected just to the pc, the modem will not connect. when connected to the router,it will connect,but the router set up wizard says it cant find the modem........I must have some type of really fuxed up adsl modem.

FA-MAS,
    I can get to the modem config page thru the dial up method.Not sure how it works,but I can get in.As of now,no combo of modem and router settings seems to do the trick.

So wait, you've gotten a new modem from the ISP? Does it work like it did when you first got DSL setup? I mean without the router, like when you initially got it set up?

Quote Originally Posted by yuri yavari
    I can get to the modem config page thru the dial up method.Not sure how it works...
    My question about this is, do you still access the modem through the IP 192.168.0.1? If so, then you're not accessing it through a dial up. You have a valid ethernet connection to that modem.

I apologize for being such a pain.This set up ordeal is almost two weeks in the making,and I still can't get it to work.the whole ordeal about the dial up might have been some kind of anomoly,i am not sure.
    My isp gave me a 3rd modem,sometimes the modem wont reset.This appears to be a hardware defect in the modem.Some of the other problems are USER error.The fact that the modem is also a router has caused lots of problems with the linksys router setup.The isp asked me not to reconfigure this modem,and try to use the linksys as a regular switch.I decided t try again to set the modem as a bridge.
    At this time,I have one pc working through the router.The other one wont work.When it boots up,it obtains an address that it wont release. The addy is also not in the range of the DHCP server in the router.As usual,I'm cluelesss.

Ah, good. I was going to have you set it to bridge mode, and use the router configured the way you have it. So that sounds good. the fact that you have one machine running through the router tells me that the modem and DSL connection are good, and the router is setup correctly. Plus that one machine is setup correctly. About the machine that is not working, what IP address is it getting?

Now it gets interesting...........lol
    I will say that in the two weeks I have been fighting this mess,I have learned a lot.Probably much more that I would have if it just worked from the beginning.With that being said. I did have one pc working through the router in the very beginning,so I actually havent made much progress,just got back to square one.
    When I do a winipcfg on the non working pc, I get the following addy :169.254.21.168. It should be something like 192.168.1.2.
    I cannot get it to release,and if I try to enter a static addy(thats in the range of the router dhcp server) it still will not connect.I must be overlooking something.The pc that is working is running ME,and the non working one is a dual boot with 98 and XP.
    Thanks a ton for your patience. This has been a very trying ordeal.

well, this one's gonna be easy. The IP that machine is getting is an autoconfig address. If that machine is setup to obtain an IP from a DHCP server, and is unable to. The NIC will use it's own.

Basically there are only a few causes of this problem. One is the ethernet cable. Make sure you have a straight through cable between the router and the computer. Also make sure it's a known good ethernet cable.

next, make sure your TCP/IP settings are correct. They should be set to obtain everything automatically. That's pretty much it, aside from re-installing TCP/IP itself.

But you said this machine is a dual boot, with Win98 and XP, it's unlikely that TCP/IP is corrupted on both.

The same goes for the NIC itself. It's unlikely that the drivers are corrupted on both OS's. But you could re-install the NIC drivers.

And in worst case, it's the actual NIC hardware. Which you would have to get a new one if it has failed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information