Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: locked up hub?

hey all, got a question for ya. i went out for the holidays, came back to find something wrong with my network. my hub-a netgear 4port 10/100 i got a couple years back- is acting like it's constantly sending data-even when no computers are hooked up. both computers hooked up to it say 'a network cable is unplugged'. i've left it unplugged for a day, and it's still doing this.

i've heard that some hubs have reset buttons for situations like this, but mine doesn't seem to have one. any ideas? I'm prepared to buy a switch, 4 or 5 port 10/100....if i have to. any suggestions on where to get a decent one on the cheap, if i can't get this one to work again? i'm in the u.s., by the way. thanks in advance for help on fixing this or getting a new one for cheap....:D

I'd try contacting the tech support area at Netgear first - they may have another solution.

Otherwise, I use both Compex and CNET networking gear and love them both.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

sounds like a broadcast storm, are u certain there are no cables falsely hooked up to the hub, or worse from the hub back to itself?

if not then that may have been the problem, remove power from the hub and power it on again, if the problem continues, rma it or request tech support..

mind you netgear make very decent networking gear, i wouldnt move from em because of such a hiccup
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Arent broadcast storms specific to a dead network card or an improperly setup bus netowrk over thin/thicknet?

Well, with only the power cable hooked up to it, it was still at full utilization. I called up netgear, wondering if they had a fix, and they had me ship it to them, and they sent me a brand new one! I'm pretty impressed-i must have purchased the original 3 years ago, and i don't remember if i even filled out the warranty card or not. all in all, i'm pretty happy. thanks for the ideas.

good to hear jprime, jediagent, bcast storms can be cause by many things, faulty wires and cables/crushed/crosstalked, mismatched cables, cables thats start and end on same switch (link port 1 to 2), faulty network cards. although not common, it can happen, and if it is going to its usually at the most inappropriate time ;)
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Hardware failure???
    Thats what i like to hear, as its never MY fault...:p

Thread Information