Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to get Started with Remote Desktop connection.

Hi.

I have just installed WinXP Home edition in my home and would like to make an connetion from my office. I have tryed to search and read a little bit about it but i must say that i am a little affraid to do something wrong as i have had some problems to get my XP to run correctly and now it finally works.
    I would like to be able to control downloads and other programs in my home but from my office.

In my home i have a cable connection and i am using zonealarm pro.
    In my office i am using win 98 SE and connecting trough a firewall to the internet.

I would be very happy if someone could give me a helping hand to get this setup correct.

Thanks. Finn.

Well, I would say first disable zone alarm on your home system. We don't want it blocking any ports that are used by Remote Desktop.

My next question is, do you have a router in between your cable modem and computer?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

No there is no router, i am using the Zyxel Bridge 942 cable modem, usb type.
    I have been reading around and found that WinXP Home Edition dont support Remote Desktop. Is there any way around this?

BR Finn.

Check out a program called PC Anywhere.
    http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...fm?ProductID=2

Tridia VNC might be a good solution here as well: http://www.tridiavnc.com/

or any other vnc variant..

For programs like the Symantec PC Anywhere, do you need separate copies for the each machine? Or does it only take one copy. If I will only be connecting to my friends machine will one copy suffice or do we each need separate copies?

Thx
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Thread Information