Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can some of you give me some advise pls? (FA-MAS?) :D

Ok I have a dilemma atm and I'd be very,very pleased if some of ya all would be kind enough to add your thoughts and opinions to this topic as ya input would be greatly required I think it will head off any possible chance of me makin' a nuisance of myself here later when probs could be sorted before hand. : peace2:

Thanx in advance.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

And while I'm here I'll also ask this (oh and pls read the latest in my "dilemma" thread for an update);

With a dedicated server would I be better off fittin' it with a SMC EzCARD 10/100/1000 Gigabit nic and runnin' into an Accton OEM 4009G Gigabit Switch with 1x 1000mbit & 8x 10/100mbit which will then feed several 10/100 switches before any PC's hit the connection?

Now parts have been chosen for budget and would this be the best way to get around bottlenecks to the server instead of the plain 10/100 setup I have now?

Thanx for any help.

The setup sounds fine to me, remembering I am no networking expert.

As an example, I use a 10/100 switch which connects to a 4 port wireless router and I can use the wireless adapter connected to it with no problems.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

The experts picked a good time to go on holidays I must say.

for the nic, i would dump the smc, and get either intel or 3com, they have lower cpu usage, and also higher throughput

Andy if ya can leave links here to those products at better prices please do as I'll be away for a few days now.

3COM 905C

Gigabit isnt required... even for a server if it helps the budget.

But what happens when I add more switchports and PC's later on and say up to 120 PC's demandin' attention from it? Wouldn't it be better to spread the bottleneck around a bit and lessen the effect rather than puttin' it right at the server's backdoor? :confused:

120 machines....

Whats the server going to function for?

for an effective network that setup is quite alright wiggo, however what is the servers specs, will it be able to handle full throughput of 1Gbps, is it to server data or internet, or applications

we have 100 users all straight into a 120port switch which has 6x1GB ports also that have our servers hooked up to them, from a workstation, the hardest we have pushed it (serving data) is probably arond 40% usage at the most, except for that night when i used the server to backup my music collection...(GB to GB transfers)

duplex settings would play a vital role also, as some switches only allow half-duplex uplinks or full uplink/half for all ports which can have interesting collision and other network effects
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information