Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wireless Network Computer to Computer File Sharing

I need to be able to share files from both computers. Plain and simple. I dont know much about networking, I have never jumped into that end of the pool. So when I did about a week ago, I ended up successfully deleting my internet connection. I was able to get the company back out to re-install everything and reset it back to normal. They also installed a Wireless Network that is online. Now I am pretty sure that you just go to My Network Places and theres supposedly a folder there called like Shared Files or something....the reason i say this is because there was one there when this wireless was installed, but when i clicked on it i got an error message and it disapeared. Well, all I want is to be able to take files from one computer and put them on the hard drive of another. So however I do this please let me know. I am running XP home edition. Any help is appreciated.

First of all this problem has nothing to do with your wireless network.

You need to make sure both drives on each computer are shared. To do so, go to My Computer and right click on each drive and click Sharing and Security and make sure Share this folder on the network is ticked.

Good luck with it!

:thumb:
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

ok, i just noticed both computers are named the same thing. how do i change the name of one of them?

Simple.

Go to your desktop and ALT + Enter on My Computer and go to Computer Name, then click Change and here you will be able to change the name of your PC.

Make sure both are set to use the same workgroup or you will run into problems, workgroups are case sensitive.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

ok, so i have the drives on the network for sharing now. now all i need to do is run my Network Setup Wizard right?

Yep, that would be the easiest way around things. Just run it on both computers and select the options which suit you.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Thread Information