Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to be a dream - 56k @ 10kb/s

im going to say that anything over 5.6k on a regular phone line with a dial up connection is preatty much impossible, there are ways i guess u can get more but not really unless u are in a lab type situation and stuff... what im going to guess is that there is a way to see speeds of up to 400kb/s on a regular phone line this is how u can see a speed like that, lets say u DL a file of 10mb after say 5mb u cancel the DL cause its going too slow or u got cut off, then u go back to that same site and click on that same link again, sometimes just somtimes IE will see the remains of the file in the temp dir and make it seem that u are downloading it that fast but you are only reverting it back from the temp dir, then u slow down to your normal speed... at the end since half of the file was off your hard drive it has a speed say of 400kb/s while the rest has the normal speed at the end when thouse speeds get averaged together it may seem that u have been getting it faster but u really have not

Beefy Guest

You've overclocked your modem, haven't you Tweak?

EDIT: omg... I just noticed the 'song' you were getting. There's your reason. Nobody else in the world is downloading that song so it was desperate to get someone to download it... you came along and it couldn't wait to jump down the line and inflict years of punishment upon you and your family.. :)

Ya know if ya click on a download and then dont press where you want it to go, then come back later IE will have downloaded it in the background, you can click on it to start and it will be done in 1 sec at some outrageous speed... and yes that song is a demon looking for a host...
    :flames: :devil win

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    You've overclocked your modem, haven't you Tweak?

EDIT: omg... I just noticed the 'song' you were getting. There's your reason. Nobody else in the world is downloading that song so it was desperate to get someone to download it... you came along and it couldn't wait to jump down the line and inflict years of punishment upon you and your family.. :)
    No.

It made the top 50 this week so I downloaded it, as I do with all songs.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    Ya know if ya click on a download and then dont press where you want it to go, then come back later IE will have downloaded it in the background, you can click on it to start and it will be done in 1 sec at some outrageous speed... and yes that song is a demon looking for a host...
    :flames: :devil win
    Correct but Imesh doesn't work that way, that I know of?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I would like to point out, that it is indeed possible.
    Here in the U.S.A. the FCC has restricted data transfer to 5.3kps, so in essence, a modem sold as a 56k compatible is an illegality.

I was just gabbing with a Canadian in the TTV chat last Wednesday who informed me that Canada does not have that same restriction. He informed me that 7's are common as dirt there.
    It is feasible that the person who DL'ed the file to me may have been in Canada (which isn't so very far away from me) - or possibly, just someone residing extremely close to me on just the right set of circumstances to allow this blazing rate of transfer to take place.

And yes, the reporting was accurate by my calculations - it was a DL of the entire file from start to finish.

Yes, it is illegal by FCC standards ____ but I don't care, because I'd bet that the Federal prisons have more bandwidth for me to use than I get at home.

and isn't it true, that DSL is transmitted over regular phone systems---special connectors/equipment, but the same doggone lines that carry the other transmissions?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

it's more the fact that a 56k modem, in essence, has a potential of receiving data at 56 kilobits per second.. Which, after a direct conversion, equals 7 Kilobytes per second. Minus all the overhead information being sent on every packet, and you are looking at around 5.5Kb as a maximum speed.

However, if there was some form of compression somewhere, then the data may have been coming through slightly faster. But 10Kb/s is still way over the top...

Mr C, with xDSL connections, the line has to be converted at the telephone exchange so that the information can be transmitted at a higher frequency than POTS. That's why you can still use the phone line when you are on the Internet with xDSL. It may be the same cable, but it still needs to be altered.

At this point there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever.......

I have experienced the impossible first hand!

this is the stuff legends are born of:bounce:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Wait till ya get a chance at cable then. :D

With any luck there will be a 256k DSL connection in place when I return home from work today.

Dreams really can come true!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information