Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wardriving article @ Sudhian!

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=311

Time to go for a drive I think with my notebook... :afro:
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    whatever you do be sure to change the MAC address on your NIC when you connect to someone else WiFi network if you plan on doing anything that might get you in trouble. A lot of stumblers/wardrivers here in NYC have been picked up by police after being traced by the MAC address on their wireless NICs.

Still, (I thought of that) how are they going to trace it back to you through the MAC address? When you buy the wireless adapter, you don't give them your address - then you can change it anyway.

Not that I condone this type of thing, but I don't see how you can really be caught - not that it is even breaking the law, consider it tuning into an FM radio station, since in essence that's all it is.

:devil:
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

We just went on our first war-drive around my small country town and found no networks, although I am not surprised.

We drove slowly past all banks and computer store.

It was fun and exciting all the same, I'm looking forward to the day we head to Melbourne and do this.

:afro:
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    Still, (I thought of that) how are they going to trace it back to you through the MAC address? When you buy the wireless adapter, you don't give them your address - then you can change it anyway.

Not that I condone this type of thing, but I don't see how you can really be caught - not that it is even breaking the law, consider it tuning into an FM radio station, since in essence that's all it is.

:devil:
    well since MAC addresses are supposed to be unique [key word is supposed I've had 3com and Intel NICs with duplicate MAC addresses when purchased in heavy bulk]. if someone has some sort of logging on what accesses their network they can capture your MAC address and report it to authorities the MAC address can then be put on a list the authorities keep if your MAC address shows up too many times they might setup an fake access point in a n area you are known to frequent to try to catch you.

thats what they did to this guy that got caught here in NY. he kept war driving in his own neighborhood and one of the APs he got on was in the home of some guy who worked for the police in the computer security division. just his dumb luck i guess. :no:

anyway if he had spoofed his MAC address it would have been a hell of a lot harder to catch him as he would have used a different one for each AP he accessed or for each war drive he went on..

Thread Information