Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotmail and YOU

From OCAU

Microsoft Releases Your Personal Hotmail Info

If you have a Hotmail account - or if you've used Microsoft Passport - for more than a month, there's something you need to check. Or, more accurately, uncheck. Quickly.

A small publication known as The Eastside Journal, based in Bellevue, Washington http://www.eastsidejournal.com/sited/story/html/92308 , reports that Microsoft has taken, uh, liberties with your confidential information.

A bit of history. Microsoft bought Hotmail in January 1998. It's still the number-one location for free email: log on to www.hotmail.com and you can send and receive email messages at no charge.

Almost 120,000,000 people use the system, worldwide. A couple of years ago, Microsoft hooked up Hotmail to its Passport system. Variously known as Microsoft Passport, Windows Passport, MSN Passport, and/or .NET Passport, all of the names refer to Microsoft's giant central database of customer information.

If you want to use Hotmail, you have to sign up for a Passport - and in so doing you're added to the Passport database. Microsoft Messenger requires a Passport, too. Windows XP nags mercilessly, offering all sorts of goodies to get you to divulge your name, address, age, phone number, and the like, as grist for the Passport maw.

If you signed up for Hotmail - or anything else that uses Passport - more than a couple of months ago, you may be in for a big surprise. It seems that Microsoft changed the rules while you weren't looking. Unilaterally, Microsoft may have granted itself permission to pass along your personal information to other companies that use Passport on their Web sites. The personal information includes your email address, your birthday, your country and zip code, your gender and occupation.

Has Microsoft taken liberties with your data? There's an easy way to check. Go into Hotmail. Click Options (to the right of the tab that says "Address Book"). Click Personal Profile (in the upper left corner). Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and see whether the boxes marked "Share my e-mail address" and "Share my other registration information" have been checked.

Those boxes didn't exist when I signed up for Hotmail, and chances are pretty good they didn't exist when you signed up for it, either. I certainly never gave Microsoft permission to hand out my email address - or my birthday, gender or occupation. I'd rather be dipped in oil. Yet both of those boxes on my personal profile were checked. I bet they're checked on your personal profile, too.

Details are still murky, but it looks like Microsoft added those two check boxes a couple of months ago, and did itself a big favor by checking both of them for all of the Passport holders at the time.

When did Microsoft implement this new policy? Hard to say. Details should be in the MS privacy statement, but I couldn't find anything. If you'd like to wade through Microsoft's privacy statement http://privacy.msn.com/default.asp#MSNMAIL , strap on your hip waders - it's 520 lines of dense legalese. The last two lines of the statement
    say:

Updated December 2001
    (c) 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

In the old days ya just had to make sure that ya unticked bein' added to the mailin' lists and the white pages. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Its exact reason why I don't put any of my info, on any email address, thats the reason. Besides I just got one so I can use my outlook

and people wonder why i use a birthdate of mm/dd/02, was i born last year? NO. But if they gonna treat me like i did, i might as well type it in.
    :D :D :D

Grrr just unticked my account...

Isn't this some sort of sick crime:shoot2:

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    Grrr just unticked my account...

Isn't this some sort of sick crime:shoot2:

Don't say that so loud, or MS might hear and send the Intel Sardaukar... er I mean bunnies after you.
    Someday I would like to become knowledgeable so that I could do penance for all the stupid questions I have and have yet to ask.

When in this world will M$ learn to respect the privacy of its users...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Originally posted by asklepios
    [B]When in this world will M$ learn to respect the privacy of its users...
    Your kidding right?

That'll happen when MS is, hopefully, judged to be a monopoly and split up.

More likely America will have to rename itself United State of America LLC a subsidiary of MicroSoft Inc.

It will change from the land of freedom *cough* to the land where your thoughts are freely provided for you... as long as you pay for and register your brain.

Man, I keeping an eye on plane tickets to Australia...
    Someday I would like to become knowledgeable so that I could do penance for all the stupid questions I have and have yet to ask.

just like twizl, I never put any real information out on public access email accounts for just that sort of reason.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sunshine
    [B]just like twizl, I never put any real information out on public access email accounts for just that sort of reason.... :rolleyes:
    Yeah, usually my profile looks something like this.

First name: Nonof
    Last Name: yourBidness

age: either 26, or 18, or oldest or youngest in range if it doesn't matter.

e-mail address: sexwith@yourdoggie.com
    (they only look for @ and .com, org, etc..)

phone number: 212- random numbers
    zipcode, either real one, one from in the city, don't know if you can just put in random numbers sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

Occupation: Well depends on my account, with my Smokey_The_Balrog @ yahoo I have real-estate agent.

:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information