Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How To Setup A Home Network With Cable?

I've finally convinced my parents to get a new PC (yeah)!
    Our plan is to network my PC and theirs with XP. (been told with XP its fairly straight forward)
    We are also getting cable internet. (I don't know much about the network stuff, soforgive me if I seem a bit stupid) WE want to be able to use the net through both PC's What do we need? Is it easy to do? Will we be able to use the net at the same time?

What I have:
    PC's with Network cards
    100's of metres of CAT5 (liberated it all from a Ch7 job)
    Both PC's have Win XP

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx:confused:

just get a router...plug the cable modem into the router, then plug our pc's into it

get one with a built in 4 port switch (not hub)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I guess thats how you do it. Its a kinda cool set up too, you can or cannot share files, and internet same time, no extra money. We used to when we had two pcs, we even messengered sometimes for _hits andd gigles, Good luck

Thanx guys. I was also wondering if with the 4 port router i could print from the other PC that isn't connected to the printer directly?

Sorry, I mean print without the other PC being turned on.

you can't print to a printer connected to a computer that isn't on
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Admin (main) is the host pc, and that is the pc who is the one hooked up to the net. Unless the host is on, you won't be able to get online. Now, I can't remember for sure (since it was awhile ago) if the host actually needs to be online, before the other pc can get online. That you will eventually find out on your own.

Beefy Guest

Some routers you get now also come with a built in print server, so you simply plug your printer into the back of the router and can always have access to it..

Example: <a href="http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=140" target="_blank"> Netgear</a>

Thread Information