Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 2 phonelines, 2 modems, 1 Isp and router???

Hi,

Is it possible to use to phonelines, 2 modems, 2 accounts with an ISP to get an faster connection. How would I set this up. With a router (how expensive??) or else?

Please comment and give me any hints please.

Thanks to all

Karl:snip:

Contact your ISP and see if they'll support it first. ;)

I know my ISP dose not support the multilink protocol, but soembody told me that with a router I could use one account for upload and another for download without using any protocols of my ISP.

Either way, a router will block what you have from the ISP making it look like one connection.

In fact I was thinking of that kind of thing as well. I'm not really sure if the speed will be overly faster. But you should have more bandwidth. WHich in turn makes things faster when doing multiple things at once.

Well having more bandwith would be what I would like. I run a small Internetcafe in the Dominican Republic with one server and 6 with my laptop 7 clients, all on XP. There is no other way to connect to the net than dial-up for the moment and for this I would like to try what I was asking about. Could this be difficult to set up??

Karl:thumb:

the isp that i am using is pretty good w. allowing multiple connections form one account. Actually its my buddies account (he's paying for it and im the leech), he uses it at his work, at home and me all at the same time, but different phone numbers.
    You could try it, but some ISPs will require you to get a second account/

It's called "shotgunning" and it is possible. Like others have said, the only issue you would run into is if your ISP will allow you to connect simultaneously with the same account. If not, you will have to get a second account.

Maybe it's just in America, but isn't upload and download bandwidth seperate issues?
    53kps DL - 33kps UL, one doesn't affect the other. (OK, yes it does - poor upstream will slow the downstream, but it has to be pretty weak to not keep the 53kps flowing at a decent rate for the purpose of DLing files etc. as all it is required to do is send the little "packet recieved" packets in order to keep things running optimally.)

In that case, what would be gained by having a seperate modem for each function.
    Seems reasonable that 2 connections would increase both functions, but dividing those functions is gaining nothing (is that even possible, to allocate those tasks to seperate hardware:?: ).

Maybe that's just in the USA, I know other countries have different regulations and such on TCP/IP over phone lines.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information