Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC with 2 NICs = router/server?

Myself as well as 2 other people have a PC with 2 NICs in it. We all want to set up these pc to become servers of some type and use the NICs to form a router of types

I know windows has net sharing but I don't think it is the same thing that I want to do, or is it?

btw, i would be feeding the net to a small network via a switch where as the other 2 would be using a crossover cable to 1 other PC

i'm pretty sure I need some routing software, but I don't know which one.

any help or comments would be greatly appreciated
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

You're absolutely right, you would need some software to do the "routing" between the networks, Win98 SE and above have ICS. If possible, I say go with that. If not, use something like WinRoute or WinProxy.

Later

ICS has worked for me for years. :devil win

ok i'll try that

what about a linux option? I plan to use that on another comp later on

thanks for the help

Why not get a hub(or switch), install ICS and TCP/IP and call it a day.
    I dont see why you would want to go into crossover cabling and stuff.
    Unless its just 2 PCs connected at a time.

i'm not the one using the crossover cable, my friends are...and yes, for them there is only 2 comps involved. I however already have 2 routers (Cisco and D-link) and a switch. I am tring out different options (which is nothing new in this forum) and want to try my hand at somthing I havn't done before. Right now I have everything behind on of the routers. I want my soon-to-be server to be the point of entry and have that fed to the switch which will then go out to the other comps. And I just want to know how I can most effectivly do that. It sounds like ICS is the answer.
    But what about DHCP? Or should I just asign each computer a static LAN IP (192.168.0.??)

I personally perfer static IPs as there is less confusion which machine is which. But after getting a big network, it might be a hassle. But if you're just running a LAN i say go w/ static IPs.

If you want to go crazy, start playing with the subnets :D
    BTW the best subnet calculator i found is wildpacket's one thats available on download.com
    :2cents:

Thread Information