Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared files???

i have a laptop and a computer both running winxp pro...and networked toghter....i recently formated my laptop and put xp pro back on.......there both networked togther and both see each ping fine...but when im on my computer and try to transfer some files to my laptop..it says i might not have permission rights to view my laptops C:\. But on my laptop i have full share so i wont have any problems..any reason why i cant share a file wiht mylaptop even though full share is on?

So I know the lapyop's name is Eeps:
    And you can seemingly access the C (the C: Shared)
    You can also seemingly access Documents and Settings

So when does this problem occur? It looks like you're trying to access a profile folder. Maybe make sure that has the same full control permissions.

Later

yes the laptop's name is EEPS...and I have the whole C:\ sharing.i done this in the past and it work no problem..but for some reason after I re-formated my latop it started to do this...basicly when I try to access a profile folder it does this..and agian sharing is on full so I wouldnt have problems..any other advice...thanks

How are you attempting to access this share from the desktop? Directly through My Network Places or some other way?

Do both comuters show in My Network Places?

i do it thru network places....they both see eachother..and both ping...just that when I try to transfer a file over to my laptop...it gives me that message

Did you make this EEPS profile of yours on the laptop as "Private"?
    It is possible that earlier you had your laptop fornatted as FAT32 and now you have it as NTFS. In NTFS type of format you have this additional feature of making your account private.
    If you did any such thing while making the profile on your laptop you can not access that folder from network anymore.
    Though a dumb question but just trying to cover the basics...:p
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I dont remember making anytyhing private....where would i go to see if its on private or not?

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\EEPS or whatever is your profile name and right click on the folder particular to that profile.
    Click on properties and then click on "Sharing" tab.
    Under "Local sharing and security"...look for a check box saying "Make this folder private". If it is checked...it means that you have got that folder as private and no one except you and that too logged under same profile can access it.
    Just un-check it and click on "Apply".
    You should be done now!
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

i looked for that private setting but didnt see it? maybe im blind

Take a screenshot of what you have under permissions please. Also right click on my computer, go to properties, and take a screenshot of the computer name tab on both machines. Here's another question, Do you have to "log on" to either of these machines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information