Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to change a MAC address in win98

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I fail to see what changing her MAC address will do to resolve this situation, and more to the point, nearly all NICs are hardcoded with their MAC address at production...
    I haven't seen a NIC that has resisted having it's MAC changed, but as you say, I can't see how changing the MAC will have any affect on the static IP assigned by the ISP...

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    I can't see how changing the MAC will have any affect on the static IP assigned by the ISP...
    Well if it's a static IP, they usually aren't dynamically assinged. Unless it is actually DHCP and the ISP has made a reservation on that DHCP server so that whenever DHCP request packets are recieved from that MAC address, it is offered a particular IP. I've seen that on cable connections. But I've seen it more on PPPoE DSL connections where they offer static IP's.

That's the only way i can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    but if anyone uses MSN or AOL really needs to look into getting a different ISP. I was serious there. If you use AOL or MSN you are not my friend.
    I like the way that kane2g thinks. I would love it if you got another ISP as I work for one of the others.:D

Later

Quote Originally Posted by FA-MAS
    Well if it's a static IP, they usually aren't dynamically assinged. Unless it is actually DHCP and the ISP has made a reservation on that DHCP server so that whenever DHCP request packets are recieved from that MAC address, it is offered a particular IP. I've seen that on cable connections. But I've seen it more on PPPoE DSL connections where they offer static IP's.

That's the only way i can see it.
    Ah okay, fair enough :).

Should probably try connecting with a different box and seeing what that does to the MAC address, then :).

if it helps, we wrote an article on this:
    http://www.ocmelbourne.com/tutorials/MACaddr/
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information