Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: How do you connect to internet?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How do you connect to internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    Well, the 512k both ways i've got isn't really fast enough to even be called "broadband". more like ordinary dsl cable. Speeds over 2 Mbit is real broadband.

But sure it's nice compared to 56.

:cheers:
    After 5+ years at 56k my 256 DSL is going to keep me happy for a while -- I hope:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Just tested my speed:

d/l @ 2827 kbps
    u/l @ 159 kbps
    345.1 KB/Sec Transfer Rate

And I still want a faster connection !!!
    SPAM Special Ops

By the way, I tested my speed here : Speakeasy.NET
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    im still stuck with 56k, 3.5mb/s cable here costs a month:)
    Ya, I'm paying $35 cdn for my "high speed" cable connection, I'm tempted to pay the $60 cdn for the "extreme high speed" connection.
    SPAM Special Ops

in the NL I pay 45 euros a month for 512 cable.
    when I move in June to Borneo, I will pay the same amount for 128.... :( 512 will cost 4 times as much!!! :( :( :(

but, right here right now in the business lounge I'm on a 11 Mbps (!!!) LAN..... :confused: :eek: :D

Guys...i have come to know a lot about computers, but not about one of their most inmportant functions, internet connection. I am interested in fast connection speeds, but my rurality prohibits most forms except for i think satellite. (yeah...i am that remote)

HEre is my question......i know that someone said that there will be a company putting up a tower not far from where i live that will provide high-speed internet acces. What kind of connection is that? I would appreciate your respone.

The one and only Chaotic Chaos!!!!

Couldn't be DSL as that uses your phone line (which I'm guessing you already have). Do you have cable TV in your area yet (you said rural) ? If not, that might be it...
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Guys...i have come to know a lot about computers, but not about one of their most inmportant functions, internet connection. I am interested in fast connection speeds, but my rurality prohibits most forms except for i think satellite. (yeah...i am that remote)

HEre is my question......i know that someone said that there will be a company putting up a tower not far from where i live that will provide high-speed internet acces. What kind of connection is that? I would appreciate your respone.

The one and only Chaotic Chaos!!!!
    OK im going to guess that they are going to put up a new cell phone tower there since that is the most common type of tower out there unless its weather or something but then it would not be relevent. if they are putting up a cell phone tower then u are looking at dial up internet through a cell phone.... but you said it was high speed so another thing they could be doing is putting up the cell phone tower with a wireless high speed network this stuff is very new the way it works is like a wireless internet connection except of a regular lan card you have a wireless cable internet modem which is the size of a regular modem but it has a built on antena and a jack for an extrnal antena which you might have to use depenging on signal strength, the speed of it is like regular broadband equal to a cable modem so you can say you have a cable modem

Maxpowers is correct. They are not putting up cable. It is going to be some kind of a wireless setup. And yes, it is for cell phone coverage too. I can't wait til it is constructed. A nice Christmas present!!!!!! Anyways....thanx Maxpowers.

Chaos

I run a cable modem with 3mb throughput, and it is only $35US a month.
    It is flyin'...
    I can download an mp3 in about 5-6 seconds. Not bad since I was stuck on dial up in Tokyo for 5 years. (where I lived they didn't allow anything else).

So it is NICE. I couldn't imagine a NEED for anything faster.

Chez
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information