Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: networking xp and me systems

ok here's my problem

I have 2 systems when i had me on both they networked great no probs.. but I upgraded one to xp pro and I can't seem to get them to see each other now

they are connected via 8 port hub hub connected to cable modem and both are working great on the internet.

I am sure there are some strange settings I haven't set up on the xp system but I can't seem to find them

any help

ok, I had similar problems.... could get internet through the router using both pcs, but not file sharing.
    however, I upgraded both to windows XP, so maybe there is your problem? dunno myself....
    in the end, I dint do anything smart - I just used the Networking wizard on first one machine, writing down everything that I called the first machine, and then repeated the process on the second machine copying the relevant information names when and where appropriate.
    then, and it tool a while to work this one out :o you have to go through each of your folders and specify which ones you want to share....
    both pcs log in with administrator rights and no other users as we dont have other users.
    reboot both machines.
    for this system they both need to be switched on to file share :thumb:

well there are lots of questions that need to be answered out here...
    first and most important one...can you ping the puters?
    have you entered valid IP addresses for both machines?
    are they on same workgroup?
    do they have same subnet mask?
    read this M$ Article to know all about trouble shooting networking in XP.
    Sunshine's point is absolutely valid and an important one too.
    Check all these things out...:thumb:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

As for File sharing

Windows XP does not install NETBUI which is required to be able to file share. You have to install it manually.. search for "netbui" on the XP cd.

Install NetBEUI on Windows XP
    The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.
    or here's the link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301041

Quote Originally Posted by tukinnam
    As for File sharing

Windows XP does not install NETBUI which is required to be able to file share. You have to install it manually.. search for "netbui" on the XP cd.

or here's the link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301041
    tukinnam,
    Is your system utilizing different OS's? or just XP? Pretty much eveything I've read, which is alot, says NETbui is not necessary, but if it works, great!

I have had two different XP computers on my network, which has mainly Win 2000 machines. One, my Son's went through a log-in screen to access it, like the Win 2000 machines, but the other XP machine accessed the network for a brief period, but now it refuses to access other machines or allow others to access it. Maybe I'll install Netbui and see what happens. Thanks.

For those interested: 1. There is no domain. 2. The Workgroup name is the same. 3. File sharing is turned on. 4. I have Pinged 'til my "face turned blue." Told me alot, but not how to resolve the problem.

sometimes it is necessary to have accounts on each PC to see resources being shared on the XP box. for example.

on the 98 box when you login [unless you've removed the login screen altogother] then you may need to reinstall either the client for MS networks or the windows family login. and you will have to login to the 98 box with a userid and password that exists on the XP machine [or enable the guest acoount on the XP machine, which i don't recommend unless you are absolutely sure the file sharing port is blocked on your firewall(if you have one)].

ok got it to the point where i can see the other computer ( name only) but can't enter the system... seems i don't have rights or something... as I mentioned before when i used ME on both systems I had no problems seeing all files and printers on both machines

Thread Information