Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Invisible web pages?

Thanks Mr C. I'll report back on the success of the mission as soon as it's completed.

The lie of the land at present is this:

I've deleted Norton personal firewall and it has solved the problem of the little red "x" appearing where an image should be on a web page.

However, the problem with certain web pages still only part loading or loading but not displaying themselves on screen remains.

At present I'm on the brink of wiping my hard drive and starting from scratch - something I'd rather not do simply because of the amount of useful software which was already loaded onto the system when I bought the machine.:confused:

I wonder if perhaps the uninstall did not entirely clean up the registry entries:?:

Do you have a registry cleaner handy, maybe an uninstall followed by a cleaning:geek:

If you don't mind, what sites are giving you fits, I think I recall reading about Yahoo and a few others having some problems -- though I don't recall exactly what software was involved there:o
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Hi Mr C.

Various websites are giving me problems. Bear in mind these sites *used to* work ok up until a few weeks ago, then suddenly went pear-shaped!

www.realmadrid.com

This page part-loads - the main banner appears at the top of the screen but nothing else does.

www.planetfootball.com
    www.teamtalk.com
    www.skysports.com

all of these pages show a blank screen after loading - even though the status bar at the bottom of IE6 proclaims the task as "Done". Upon selecting "view source" I can see the information is actually there, just not on display in the web browser.

There are various others that give me grief but these are the main and best examples.

In the meantime I'll do a little more research into registry cleaning (any useful pointers are appreciated :thumb: ) and see if I can have any more success.

Thanks and best wishes.

G-Wulf

You don't suppose this is some kind of hosts file issue perhaps?

Come on you XP guru's, give me a hand here:geek:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Well, i don't think that it is a hosts file issue but it doesn't hurt to check! actually whenever it is a hosts file issue IE shows it as "Page cannot be displayed" error! in anycase he can see everything in view source window which means that the site is being connected with and data is downloaded from there! there gotta be some other explanation to it :?:
    but anyways you can go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open the file HOSTS with notepad. look for the sites in the list provided. if you find any entry related to these sites, simply delete the entry and save the file. if it is hosts problem, that should solve it.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

alright, another guess.
    something from Symantec's Knowledge Base :?:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I went to the Planet football site and it loaded a lot of stuff but also noted that you needed the Java Virtual Machine plug in for your browser and it directed you to Sun's site. Is it possible that you had pure Java before and that it has been replaced by MS's *******ized version?

bigjackusa that so called *******ized version from M$ worked for me :?:
    in anycase if you had pure java earlier or in other words JRE from sun and it is now replaced by M$ JVM, then you must be having both of the them on your machine. JVM never overwrites over JRE.
    you can simply go and chose which one you want to work with, from "set program access and defaults" in all programs section!
    but i don't think thats the reason behing his problem :(
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

ASKLEPIOS AND MR C I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

Whatever it is that has been achieved by deleting the entries in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc has worked a treat and I can now see everything.

Thankyou very very much! :thumb:

Is there any chance of a brief explanation of what has actually happened?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information