Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invisible web pages?

Hi all.

I've been tearing my hair out recently because when I try to view a certain few web pages on my PC they either freeze part-way through loading or they fully load but do not show the content.

I know for a fact the content is there as clicking on "view source" reveals the HTML which confirms it's presence. Can anyone give me any clues as to why these pages simply refuse to reveal themselves on my screen?

I'm browsing with IE 6 on XP Pro with a broadband internet connection. Like I said this is only happening on a select few web pages which happen to load fine on my friend's computers of similar configuration, plus it was not too long ago that these pages were loading happily into my machine.

I've tried all the usual checks through internet options etc and I really cannot find anything out of place.

Has anyone else ever experienced or even solved a similar problem in the past? Any help or advice would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks

G-Wulf.:thumb:

Update to IE6 SP1 and see if your problem still occurs. ;)

Check out any firewall/security software for irregularities as well, Norton has been giving a few folks fits for instance.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

Standard question: Have you installed / changed anything recently, around the time it stopped working? Whether it be internet related or not..

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to Beefy's question, I hadn't installed anything (as far as I know) that would've risked corrupting data on my PC *up until the time of the problem occurring* and I certainly hadn't changed any settings, especially as I live my life by the rule "If it ain't broke, dont fix it!"

Since then I have tried a few different ploys to regain total usability from my Internet explorer. I reinstalled Windows XP along with the SP1 service pack, I've checked and rechecked my firewall settings which *seem* inoffensive enough. I've even deleted software which I've considered capable enough of interfering with internet settings - all to no avail!

I've even installed Netscape navigator just to see if the problem was exclusive to IE6 - unfortunately exactly the same symptoms occur using Netscape so I am now "assuming" that the problem has it's roots buried slightly deeper than IE6 itself.

To compound matters more web pages that were loading in fully a few days ago are now loading in without pictures so where an image would usually be is now occupied by one of those little white rectangles with a red "X" inside it.

Like I said I really am tearing my hair out with this baby!:confused:

What firewall are you using?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I'm using the Norton personal firewall 2002 edition.

Do ya still get the same result with the firewall turned off? :?:

Unfortunately yes - I've tried disabling the firewall and accessing the web pages with which I have trouble, alas with no success.

This issue has been occuring often with this firewall product, from what I gather in my reading around the www .

This can occur for several reasons, one possibility is a change in IE due to enabling the program to check for updates.
    Just a for instance....

Often it can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton Personal Firewall. The uninstall utility should remove the registry entries as well.
    This page may also offer help if any difficulty should occur in the uninstall process;

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01090510510636

Once the uninstall is complete, a reinstall of the software should be configured properly for the current version of Internet Explorer.

Best of luck with it - keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information