Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Home Networking& Internet sharing.

Hello All. I want to set up Home Networking with 3 PC's. I have 1 static IP. PC's are..P4 2.4 Ghz, P3 933Mhz, Celeron 333Mhz. I do know that 1 PC (server) has to be on for the other 2 to be connected to the internet. Can this PC be the Celeron 333Mhz? Would this effect my internet connection speed?

My setup would be: DSL -> Celeron 333Mhz( 2 NIC) -> HUB->P4 2.4Ghz -> P3 933Mhz.

Thanks for your input.

the 333 won't slow down the network, are you using a hub/switch, or with 2 NIC's are you going to use ip forwarding?
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

SegiY, the only way I know is: I connect my DSL to Celeron 333Mhz which has 2 NIC's -> out to HUB-> then I connect my 2 other PC's to the HUB.

Is there a better way to do?

Thanks.

Check out the sticky at top by FA-MAS explaining how to connect the puters in a network. ;) :thumb:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    SegiY, the only way I know is: I connect my DSL to Celeron 333Mhz which has 2 NIC's -> out to HUB-> then I connect my 2 other PC's to the HUB.

Is there a better way to do?

Thanks.
    I used to connect to the internet in the manner you describe using Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). However,it is not very secure especially if you use File and Printer Sharing to share data between computers.

A more secure method utilizes a Router after the DSL that acts as a hub as well as sharing the Internet connection. The Router will have a Firewall incorporated which increases security greatly. If you decide to pick up a router consider one that has wireless capability, if you think you may use that method in the future. Also, consider one that acts as a print server, which will simplify sharing that resource, too.

asklepios, I'm not sure what you mean by " sticky at top by FA-MAS..." and Looper may not either.

: peace2:

OK, I found it. It's the thread just above this one on the Internet and Networking page.

:-(

Thanks elrado1 for the reply. This is the setup i'm using with no luck...

Got it working...Thanks Guys.:thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by elrado1
    asklepios, I'm not sure what you mean by " sticky at top by FA-MAS..." and Looper may not either.

: peace2:
    oops my mistake. well i thought everyone knew about it. :?:
    stickies are the threads that never move (up-down like other threads) in a forum! they are stuck or in other words pinned at the top for easier access of users. if you will see windows forum, you might find lots of such threads, including the ones about the piracy policy and guides by PI.
    :thumb:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information