Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Techno retards

I get the impression that the intent was to make harsher penalties for pirating cable TV signals, making "free" phone calls, and that sort of thing.

The rest I guess they included because if the perpatrators use them, they won't be able to track them down as easily.
    Problem is anyone with a reasonable understanding of the term "online" uses those things too.

Residents of those states will just have to wait and see how this new legislation is actually going to be implemented.

I don't think they will go out and prosecute everyone with a firewall, but it will probably be an "incidental/additional" charge to leverage on folks caught doing wrong.

What about proxies?
    I assume that's is covered by this too:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

may be you are right that they are just adding additional charges to frame against serious offenders, but it gives a feeling as though serious thought have not been given to these bills.
    a discussion with leading IT proffessionals of the country would have been quite helpful and afaik no one who knows something about internet or being online and is in his senses would say that firewalls should be abolished.

about proxies...well it also tries to hide your real identity and thats a clause of the law. you can't do so...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

That's democracy for you - combine a decision by comittee process and the current rate of technological progress, and there is no way you will get any legislation which is worth the paper it is written on.

But, best to have those people there - because I really don't want to interact with them when I shop at Wal-mart.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

This is just an extension of the Bush/Ashcroft idea that only bad guys have anything to hide. So the government needs to be able to access everthing so it can find all of the bad guys and protect the rest of us. This idea combined with all the arrests and secret detentions that the feds have done recently and the new "pre-emptive strike" mentality will lead to a "Minority Report" senario in the future if left unchecked. Already the FBI says it needs to watch what websites people visit, what books you check out of the library or buy on Amazon to spot potential "bad guy" behavior. The feds have already confiscated some websites of suspected "bad guys" and if you go to them you get a Department of Justice logo and warning that you may turned over to the FBI for having visited the site. There are politicions who have jumped on this bandwagon of protect the rest of us at all costs and have given no consideration as to what the ramifacations may be. It will only get worse unless people wise up and put a stop to it soon.

After the laws go into effect spammers spoofing the IP on their unsolicited electronic transmissions to Maryland, Michigan and Texas will be in direct violation.

Umm, calling cards may be a thing of the past though - think about it.

I think all folks who disable caller ID are definitely going to need an attorney too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information