Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: routers ??

Hello,
    i am interested in purchasing a router for the family.
    We currently have two computer in seperate rooms, and are sick of having to turn the server computer on first, in order to use the internet upon the other.
    I am unfamiliar with the router process, will this solve my problem, not having to have one computer on at any single time just so the other has the internet ??

input much appreciated

yep, I did this and got fab advice from the guys here, as well as using the set-up guide. :thumb:

what I have is cable->modem->router->two computers

I use the router set-up as a firewall, but also use firewall software as well just in case as this isnt the most secure way of connecting to the internet.

but as I speak one machine is switched off, the other is switched on (some people think that switching off machines is heresy but that's another story and involves SETI folks:rofl: ) and I have internet connection.

basically as far as I can gather the router then splits the internet feed depending on demand, but the internet/router combo is always switched on - great for cable but probably not appropriate for dial-up.

also with the router - using winXP wizard to set up a home network, we can use it to share files and resources - such as the printer, scanner etc.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    m-kong[/size]]
    We currently have two computer in seperate rooms, and are sick of having to turn the server computer on first, in order to use the internet upon the other.
    You actually turn them off? :eek:

Can I interest ya in joinin' our SETI team to eleviate this situation? :devil win

yes wiggo, some people do turn there PC's off :P

Ive stopped gaming in order to concentrate my efforts into studying.

Where as before it was on 24/7 for weeks on end. :D:D

SETi ?

please inform me of this 'team'

much obliged.

Well here's what it's about, http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html

Method 2 here is the best way to run it, http://www.soni.dk/Distributed/seti_installation.asp

And clicking the link in my sig is the first step in joinin' plus I also use it as part of my stability testin' on new, upgraded and repaired PC's.

Thread Information