Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: share drive freezes unless you disconnect the cord??

I know this is a really odd question. I tried to do a search for this and found nothing, so here goes....

We have Windows XP home edition at work. We are all netrworked with our drives as shared. We also have a UNIX server and it has ability to see the unix and we can see it's set up directory. So we are all XP home on a business network, of about 8 computers.

This one computer in the lab started acting funny. on my computer I can connect to the tasting room, office one, etc etc all windows shared folders on our network. We use static IP addresses.

If I try to connect to the "lab" computer from my computer "lab2" it will litterally freeze unless I reach around and unplug the network cable, then it (the folder) comes up and after I plug back in the cable and re try the drive it works fine. Our boss also has tried to access this "lab" computer and same thing happens. It has just started this and we have tried:

changing the nic card.
    doing a windows "reapair thyself" and then installing service pac 1a.
    given the user a new name, in case there was a conflict with the name issue.

Really baffling. I just built the computer for "lab2" and set it up. I made the twisted pair cable up for my computer to the nework switching hub according to 'standards' However, Doug has set up some of the computers a little differently. ie " Orange/White - Orange - White/green - Green - White/blue - Blue - White/brown - Brown"

Would my making up the cable differently cause this reaction? My cable is orange/white - oragne - white/green - blue - white/blue - green - white/brown - brown. I believe that is the way, but I have the list at work for the specific wires. It's that was on both ends as you look at it upside down (wires looking at you where they connect)

Any ideas on how to resolve the connect - disconnect oddity would be much much appreciated. even e-mail too!! :D

THANKS!!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

Beefy Guest

The cable standards are basically set that way to eliminate as much interference as possible. However, over small distances, you should be fine as long as the cable works.

If you think the cable could be a problem, then try the PC with another cable. Chances are it will still do the same thing.

Aside from that, it sounds like you've got an interesting little problem there. Is it just sharing that is having problems, or is it all network traffic? If it's just sharing, then it's a software problem. If it's all networking, then there's a chance it could also be a hardware problem.

Also, when you say it 'started' to act funny, does that mean it did work fine for a while, or has it always played up?

Well, we never really paid much attention to it until I built a computer and it also had my name on it and was connected in the same office as the one acting wierd. What we noticed was that if you clicked on the lab C drive you could open it up. But if you clicked on any folders (shared as drive C.. the root.. is shared), then your computer would hang. hang long time.. more than 20 mintues.. until you either rebooted.. logged off, or just simply pulled out the network cable out of the back of the computer... it would then pop up the folder you were trying to look at, and tell you you were disconnected! LOL

Thought maybe there was some wierd setting with this one computer, as we don't seem to notice it on any of the others. Except that I have seen this oddity on our home system, I'd say it's an isolated case, but since I saw this happen from my wifes new computer to her old computer..makes me wonder what's going on.
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection