Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: how can I add my work laptop to my network

I have a new work laptop and I would quite like to link it into my home network to send files etc to a more confortable workstation.

My network is 2 PCs linked using 2 wireless USB Nics on 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 sharing a dialup internet connection with Wingate. PC1 is the wingate server running XP home. PC2 is the wingate client with a second NIC with standard Rj45 connection running XP Pro.

My work laptop has a nic built in that is configured to 10.100.100.247 running 2000

I dont really want to mess around with my laptop too much as I do need it to connect to my office servers when I base.

I have a 4 port HUB available too.

Can someone tell me how I can connect the laptop to PC2 so that PC1 & PC2 can see the laptop ?

It is a little hard to connect a wired computer up to two wireless computers.

You could connect PC1 to the hub with cable but then I presume you are using infastructure mode wireless, which will not enable PC2 to see PC1 and the notebook through the hub...

So, the best (and cheapest) thing you can do is buy a wireless adapter for your notebook and connect it up to your network that way. Aside from that, you could buy a wireless router + another two wireless cards (one for router and one for notebook) and do it that way (the expensive way), but of course it will cost a lot more compared to the first method which will achieve the same objective, minus the features of the router.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Thread Information