Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: wireless networking problems

I just convinced my parents to upgrade to broadband this week :D , and Im setting up a wireless network so all of our comps can share the connection. I currently have the modem hooked into an SMC Barricade wireless router. I've set up the router, and both my sister's and my parents' computers are set up fine and recognize the network perfectly. (both are using SMC wireless USB adapters) Unfortunately I can't get my comp in my room to recognize the network. It has an identical USB adapter (which I have tested on one of the other comps so it definitely works) too hook into the network. The link LED on the adapter is lighting up as if the comp is getting the signal, but win xp says that there are no wireless networks available BTW, my comp is almost directly above the router, just one floor higher. Can anyone give me any advice?

I presume you are using 802.11a or b - anyway have you got encryption turned on? Make sure you haven't got Windows firewall protection enabled.

If worst comes to worst and if you're router supports it, asign DHCP resevations to each of your machines, you might even need to get your NIC phsyical address and allow it in the routers config.

Try those things and let me know how you go!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

another thing you might want to try is moving the USB wireless adapter somewhere else in your room. you may have something thats causing interference. if the cable on the usb adapter is too short try getting an extension cable and moving it a few feet away from your PC.:shrug:

i fixed it :D Something must have been wrong in windows cuz when i reformatted it works perfectyly :D Thx for ur advice

Thread Information