Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Here is where you can ask questions about the Windows XP Home Networking Guide on TweakTown!

I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Quote Originally Posted by Albinus
    I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D
    Your good self, Mike and Clinton - Just to be safe, I've been out of practice... :)

just had a read thru it, good job :thumb:

nice guide tweak. I can see a lot of research went into it, good job!
    Asher Moses

A really helpful article. Just wondering:

1. once the PC 'server' machine is set up to share a DSL coinnection with other machines can one of the other machines be a Mac? Is it as simple as going into the Mac's TCP/IP settings and setting the values in the same way as with a PC?

2. the instruction: 'Click Start -> Settings -> Network Connections' doesn't seem to apply to WinXP Pro (there is no 'Settings' option under Start). On XP what is the proper path?

3. so, if I understand correctly, the DSL line goes into a NIC card on the server, and a cable from a second NIC card on the server goes out to the hub which connects to the various client machines. Is this correct? And therefore we need two NIC cards for the server, right?

1. Just make sure your mac is 100% using TCP/IP and NOT Appletalk.

2. There SHOULD be a 'settings' menu under the start menu. Its there by default, so youve probaly done something to make it go awol. Checkout TweakUI, that might have an option to get it back.

3. Yes, and Yes. Just make sure that you configure the correct NIC for your network.

Also, I read that the XP inbuilt Firewall only blocks INCOMING traffic only. Any and all outbound traffic is allowed through. So if you get a trojan off a cd/disc/network or something, itll work flawlessly.

I reccomend you use Sygate or Tiny for your firewall needs.

Hello. Very helpful article. Thank you.

I have a question regarding security.
    I do not wish to use ICS since my ADSL/cable is connected directly online.
    Back in Windows 98, I was told NOT to bind TCP/IP to 'File and Printer Sharing' because it would be like sharing my files to the world which means my computer would be easily hacked. Instead, I was told to use Netbeui so that I would not be binding File Sharing to TCP/IP.

In Windows XP, is file sharing bound to TCP/IP? (since I can't find the Bindings tab anymore)
    Is there a similar problem where my files would be easily hacked if file sharing was bound to TCP/IP?

I hope this makes sense because I'm not very proficient with the technical terms and details. :)

Thank you for your help.

Ungulate

How do you share files/etc on Windows XP Pro with others on a LAN... so that other ppl just need to know a password to view your files (i.e. read access, RW access - diff passwords)

Been doing this via Win9x, just got upgraded to WXP Pro. Now I can't figure out how to do it except by making user accounts for everyone who needs access.

Anyone remember how to set it so users only need to know the password to get in?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information