Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: connecting 2 computers

Was told to get wingate by one person, but that's a proxy server and I guess I know what they were thinking. Then there is the Network wizard with XP but even using the wizard the computer basically didn't find each other with the ping command in cmd. I tried a few things. Was told to check out Advanced Net Tools or Lan tools. Apparent Network software that might help. BUT AS I said too many tutors..Thinking I should scrap all the bits and pieces my friends have said..they seemed to have scrambled my thoughts and left me confused. Was set to a degree before there advice..O_O
    "I'm back!" ^_^

stormybaka, are you sure what you have is a crossover cable and not a patch cable? you'll know if you have a crossover cable by holding both ends of the cable in the same possition and looking at the wires. If the wires are identical (the wires are color coded) then it is a patch cable instead of a crossover cable.

file transfters can also be done with firewire(1394), but a simple setup with a crossover cable and 2 NICs should be the easist setup

you could also buy a cheap switch or hub and just plug each comp into it with patch cables
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Oh! I didn't take much notice, the package had crossover cables but the cable says patch cable cat.6.. There is a difference between the two I guess then?
    "I'm back!" ^_^

yes, there is a difference. In a patch cable, all the wires run strait through; some of the wires are crossed in a crossover cable (thus the name). Crossover cables are specificly used for connecting two computers together or as an uplink cable between routers, switches, and hubs (although not all brands of these devices require a crossover cable, some make the switch within the device via an 'uplink' port)

that's seems quite understandable..well considering the huge crossover cable written across the packaging..I figured I had the right product..Didn't know much about patch cable..thanks that helps heaps.. So basically I have 2 choices..I could get another patch cable and a hub or buy a crossover cable..I am trying to hook up my notebook to my desktop for data transfer basically..
    Thanks for the help
    "I'm back!" ^_^

if you think you might ever want to hook up more than 2 comps at the same time you should probably look into getting a hub or switch

if not, then buying a short crossover cable will be cheaper

Beefy Guest

You can also get little connectors that plug onto the end of a cable to swap it from a patch to crossover cable, and vice versa. If you've already got a normal patch cable, try that.

havn't seen those, where do you find 'em?

Beefy Guest

I got a couple from a local computer store... Just little white connectors, with hole in one side and rj-45 connector out the other..

thx, I'll have to keep an eye out for them, but all I've seen are RJ45 inline couplers so far

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information