Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: connecting 2 computers

How can I connect my laptop and desktop together and use them both as if they were one computer, and only have to use 1 screen/moniter? Both run windows xp, and have ethernet.

what purpose would it serve to use two computers as one? you would be running identical processes on both machines. what is the benifit in that?

if you want to connect the two machines to swap/copy files or share internet then all you need is a crossover cable...for more than two comps it take a little more
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Using a simple peer to peer network you could share files between the 2 computers. Like mini said, make sure you have a cross over cable unless your using a router.hub, in which case it will depend on the unit.

The only reason I could think of for doing what you want would be to use a monitor, keyboard, and mouse on the laptop instead of the built in stuff on the system. If this is the case it would be easy to hook it all up. You may require a USB keyboard/mouse, or a PS/2 to USB converter because some laptops only have 1 PS/2 port, if any. If you have no VGA port then you obviously cant use an external monitor.

you can get programs such as PC Anywhere to control another computer from your own. i used a couple of years ago and it was real easy to change between yours and your 'remote controlled' pc.

maybe if u tried Remote Desktop that comes with Windows XP, i am pretty sure only the Professional version has it, not the Home.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Crossover cable? Is that the same as regular RG45 tolken ring cables. I just bought a dlink switch and now I can use two comps to share the internet. That works well so far but can I share files between the two comps? Do I have the wrong cables?

P.S. I am a strong believer in KVM switches, You can use the same mouse, keyboard, and monitor for both comps. I don't see how that can help you much with the laptop though.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

Beefy Guest

A crossover cable is simply a normal CAT5 cable with RJ-45 connectors that has had two pairs of wires swapped around. It's used for directly connection two PCs together, or for switch uplinks, etc...

Actually I was about to ask the exact same question..I use my notebook for editing, artwork, any work on the run, scripting and sometimes stuff for my website..I have that and the desktop which has two hdd's and one is used as a server. My desktop is hooked up to adsl and wish to transfer files between my notebook to my desktop and vice versa. Have two Ethernet cards (Ethernet RJ-45 port) on the desktop and 1 ehernet connection on the notebook, both have XP and have a crossover cable. But unsure how to network them both..Basically I have had too many tutors and my info is scrambled.. If you need more info just ask..But all I need to do is be able to transfer between two comps. As far as I know you don't need a hub for only 2 comps..
    "I'm back!" ^_^

I believe that it also can be done via the USB ports as well.

that's what I originally wanted to do..got to dick smith and he talked me into using the crossover and ethernet card to hook em up..But every attempt to this supposed easy task has failed and I can't work out why..
    "I'm back!" ^_^

Yeah well I've never tried the USB way but I've heard of some who had over the years and once I have my rooms in the gardenshed I'll try it for myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information