Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Aftermarket Cooling Difficulties

Default Aftermarket Cooling Difficulties

How do I safely peel off the Kingston OEM heat sinks from my 3GB 2000MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 (9-9-9) DIMM (Kit of 3) Intel XMP ?

What is the adhesive used to bond the heat sink to the chips?

What is the best method to defeat the adhesive, like hot-air gun heat for hotmelt glue?

Removing the clips was easy, I just slid a paint-scraping razor blade underneath each end of the clip (just up to against the lugs) and the clip slipped right off.

Using my finger nails I tried to pry apart the heatsinks by pulling only at the two plates, allowing the card to be untouched.

All as I managed to do was warp the ends of the heat sinks and at that point I feared the bond of the chips to the card might be weaker than the bond of the heat sink to the chips and that should I apply more force I'll rip the chips off the card.
    Dave
    Under construction & my first build: GA-EX58-Extreme R1.0 with i7-965 CPU underneath a EnzoTech Luna Rev. A water block, 3Gig 2000MHz DDR3 Kingston KHX16000D3K3/3GX with Koolance RAM-35 water blocks, 1 BFG GTX 295 H2O video card, all connected to a Koolance 2000 Watts ERM-2K3U external radiator unit. Turbo-Cool 1200 ESA PSU in a Lian Li PC-P80 chassis with W-75BT transparent side panel & PE-01 PSU mounting bracket, all sitting on a W2B Case Carriage. - - - More components as $& (money) becomes availiable.

Default Re: Aftermarket Cooling Difficulties

Lacking any suggestions from this BBS.

I used a plastic Id. card and sliced through the adhesive along one side of the card and gently peeled up the heat spreader.

One hinge readily disengaged.

I used a small flat blade screwdriver to tweak the other hing so that the tab would slid out of its slot.

I then sliced off the remaining heat spreader.

I then used my finger nail to clean all the residue off the tops of the chips.

I used the plastic Id. card to scrape down the back side of the card as its only a single sided stick.

There was a slightly tacky film left on the back side of the stick and I left it alone.

I hope this helps someone else.
    Last edited by $&; 06-17-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    Dave
    Under construction & my first build: GA-EX58-Extreme R1.0 with i7-965 CPU underneath a EnzoTech Luna Rev. A water block, 3Gig 2000MHz DDR3 Kingston KHX16000D3K3/3GX with Koolance RAM-35 water blocks, 1 BFG GTX 295 H2O video card, all connected to a Koolance 2000 Watts ERM-2K3U external radiator unit. Turbo-Cool 1200 ESA PSU in a Lian Li PC-P80 chassis with W-75BT transparent side panel & PE-01 PSU mounting bracket, all sitting on a W2B Case Carriage. - - - More components as $& (money) becomes availiable.

Thread Information