Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB3 card reader?

Default USB3 card reader?

The third party card reader in my daughter's PC-7FN has shorted out, and she can no longer use it. Also, her bird chewed up the power button so it is no longer usable. <sigh>

We work around the unusable power button by setting BIOS to boot on power-on. However, there is no work-around for a dead card reader.

The old card reader is half of a dual USB2 plug. A regular USB2 port was the other half. It comes as part of a 5.25-inch IO panel that supplies mic and headphone jacks along with the multi-format card reader and 3 USB2 ports.

I would like to replace it with a USB3 panel. On my rig I have an external USB3 card reader, and I suppose I could get one for my daughter. But I'd like to get an IO panel with USB ports, mic and phone jacks and a multi-format card reader. Gravy would be having on-off and reset buttons, so we would not have to use the top of the case at all, and leave that literally to the birds.

I'd settle for almost anything USB3. Does Lian Li make such? Or is one coming in the next half year?
    CPU: i7 4770k at 4.3GHz Vcore=1.19v Vccin=1.8v Uncore=4GHz Vrin=1.09v
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H (Rev 1) F9
    Heatsink: Prolimatech Armageddon with 2 NF-A14's, Gelid GC Extreme TIM
    RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 @1600MHz Vdimm @1.5v (auto) 9-9-9-24
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB; HD's: WD Black 4TB, WD Red 3TB
    PSU: Seasonic X-750; CM N600 case Trophy Run: 5GHz

Default Re: USB3 card reader?

Hi ehume,

Unfortunately, we do not make what you are looking for, and so far no real plans to develop it. The only way to fix this is as you said to go for a 3rd party card reader.

As for your "bird chewed" power button, is just the cover that was "chewed" or are there other issues, because the button can be replaced. Then again the bird may chew up the new one. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    The third party card reader in my daughter's PC-7FN has shorted out, and she can no longer use it. Also, her bird chewed up the power button so it is no longer usable. <sigh>

We work around the unusable power button by setting BIOS to boot on power-on. However, there is no work-around for a dead card reader.

The old card reader is half of a dual USB2 plug. A regular USB2 port was the other half. It comes as part of a 5.25-inch IO panel that supplies mic and headphone jacks along with the multi-format card reader and 3 USB2 ports.

I would like to replace it with a USB3 panel. On my rig I have an external USB3 card reader, and I suppose I could get one for my daughter. But I'd like to get an IO panel with USB ports, mic and phone jacks and a multi-format card reader. Gravy would be having on-off and reset buttons, so we would not have to use the top of the case at all, and leave that literally to the birds.

I'd settle for almost anything USB3. Does Lian Li make such? Or is one coming in the next half year?
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Default Re: USB3 card reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    Hi ehume,

Unfortunately, we do not make what you are looking for, and so far no real plans to develop it. The only way to fix this is as you said to go for a 3rd party card reader.

As for your "bird chewed" power button, is just the cover that was "chewed" or are there other issues, because the button can be replaced. Then again the bird may chew up the new one. :D
    3rd party card reader it is.

I really think you should make a 5.25-inch device with card readers, 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports, headphone, mic, On/Off and Reset buttons. When a case like my daughter's case is on a desktop (hers is), she can't reach the Lian Li top-mounted IO ports.

2 USB2 ports for wireless keyboard and mouse. USB3 ports for flash drives and such. USB3 card readers for rapid upload of pictures from a camera.

I would buy such a device. I would especially buy yours, because it would match the front of her case. The Lian Li 5.25-inch device for HD's for example (has a fan in front, takes 3 slots) matches the rest of the case and looks perfect. Beautiful.

Thanks for looking into this thread.
    CPU: i7 4770k at 4.3GHz Vcore=1.19v Vccin=1.8v Uncore=4GHz Vrin=1.09v
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H (Rev 1) F9
    Heatsink: Prolimatech Armageddon with 2 NF-A14's, Gelid GC Extreme TIM
    RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 @1600MHz Vdimm @1.5v (auto) 9-9-9-24
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB; HD's: WD Black 4TB, WD Red 3TB
    PSU: Seasonic X-750; CM N600 case Trophy Run: 5GHz

Thread Information