Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC-Q33 side panel (GPU width) clearance?

Default Re: PC-Q33 side panel (GPU width) clearance?

Well, 750Ti is still a great card and can be had for $100. Good for tiding you over until you need more.
    Still, you can't go wrong with a 970. I have a 290 and love it, so, if noise is not an issue, or you are going to aftermarket cool it, why not a used 290x?

Right now you have so many good cards to choose from. Its a fun time :)
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Welp, well I decided the aluminum was too sexay to resist and got the case shipped.

But on second thought, the acoustic profile of most any fan, even at relatively low speeds, is going to suffer with a major obstruction covering much of the intake with that kind of proximity. So I'm going to have to find a quiet stock video card to put in there, which is a challenge given the 220 mm length restriction. I'm leaning towards the GTX 960 Strix now because Maxwell is where the action is for power/performance. Or rather, people just don't seem to make AMD cards that quiet, with some exceptions, with the exceptions generally being longer than 220 mm. For all I know it may be some time before 14/16 nm trickles down into the performance mainstream, and realistically it won't be at any kind of amazing price to begin with. If Maxwell can cover things for a while, so be it.

I'll post pics of the build when it arrives and I put it together, but it's gonna be a boring one.

Caught some early deals. Build is done. Old parts are in italics. All the fans are kept under 1000 rpm (sometimes much less) except under heavy combined stress tests.

Intel Core i7-6700K
    Scythe Kotetsu
    Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
    Corsair 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz Vengeance LPX
    Crucial MX200 500 GB
    Crucial M500 240 GB mSATA -> 2.5"
    Toshiba 2.5" 1 TB 5400 rpm
    EVGA GTX 960 SC 2 GB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Lian-Li PC-Q33B
    Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon AP-15

Since the parts are rather ordinary (with respect to fitting in the case) I didn't go through the trouble of borrowing somebody else's camera and really setting up shots. And my phone's front camera has a weird purple tint, so all the pictures on that side are compromised. As such, I tried some on the front side too, but apparently that sensor is even worse. So enjoy the terrible quality!

The build was pretty easy and straightforward for an 18 L case. The case nominally fits power supplies up to 200 mm but that would probably be a terrible idea. I had a decent amount of room to stuff cables down in the bottom section, but that was with a 150 mm deep modular PSU.

PC-Q33 side panel (GPU width) clearance?-small_back-jpg

That and the rest:
    http://s18.postimg.org/t6q3c6bex/a_front.jpg
    http://s18.postimg.org/cbayd65op/a_back.jpg
    http://s18.postimg.org/rhh043vpl/a_cpu_side.jpg
    http://s18.postimg.org/a2wrvtykp/a_gpu_side1.jpg
    http://s18.postimg.org/4u1qxyg5l/a_gpu_side2.jpg
    Last edited by rorjam; 11-27-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Not a bad set up. How is the sound when stressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    Not a bad set up. How is the sound when stressed?
    Fairly benign. That's with Furmark and Prime95 running. It's mostly wind noise, aside from a little bit of a tone from the graphics card fan, but I haven't tried messing with a fan curve and tuning that yet. On that note, the CPU has a lazy 4.4 GHz overclock for now at 1.25 V. Again, hasn't really been tested yet. There's also maybe a hint of vibration with the back fan, so maybe I'll try some rubber/silicone mounts there.

On idle the one mechanical drive, which is reasonably quiet for a 2.5" 5400 rpm model, is the loudest component.

The key to a quiet system is quiet components, as you well know, not so much damping material here and there, and certainly not overly restrictive airflow. And dust filters often make things worse, at least to begin with. I know the lack of dust filters turns some people off a case like this, but I'm kind of ambivalent on that. It's a tradeoff either way.

I hear that. My friend at silentPCreview said the same thing. Fans need to breath, any restriction can cause noise and fan straining to over come. The air must flow~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information