Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux in a family network?

We have 3 computers in our home connected via a switching hub. We can see each others files and transfer pictures, etc from computer to computer in Windows XP. However when we boot into out Linux Mandrake 9.0 I was wondering how we "see" each other? We all have static IP addresses. and as long as my computer is running Windows XP for the DirecWay 2-way satellite dish internet connection, my wife and daughter can get on the interent when in Linux on their computers.

Now.. how do they see each other? How would we send files and pictures to each other. surely Linux does not have the same "share" concept as with Windows.
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

Its a length procedure, and I still cant even get it working. Im using Red Hat 9.0 so It may be different, but i doubt it.

You have to edit the /etc/exports file to allow the users the mount the file system. Syntax as follows:

dir comp_name (parameters)

So like this:

/ comp2 (sync, uid 0-99)

Im not sure whether that is correct but it should give you a place to start. In the shell, use man exports to get more info. After editing /etc/exports, you are advised to run the exportfs command. After that, it should just be a matter of using the mount command to mount the file system. Again, if you dont know how to use it, man mount will tell ya.

I'm still learning Linux, so any linux gurus wanna step up and correct me on anything? Either way, this should give ya a starting point.

I'm a linux newb...but doesn't Samba have something to do with file/print sharing?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

look for a program called smb browser on the linux box that will enable you to view files on windows shares. you may have to give it a username & poassword it can use to access resources on your network but it should work fine..

if you need to share stuff from your linux box to your windows machines you'll need to setup samba on the linux box and the windows machines will then see the linux box' resources as if it were another windows box.

http:/www.samba.org for more detailed info..

Are you wanting to share files between Windows-Linux, or Linux-Linux?

Actually from Linux to Linux. or Vernon to Pamela or Vernon to Sammy.

Would be nice to be able to see the windows files on her machine when she is running windows and I am running LInux. I can see the windows files on my own computer in the mount directory going deep. I've actualy used this feature to choose the wallpaper for my Linux background from the pictures I had stored in my Windows files. works pretty nicely within this computer.

But, lets say I want to see the file, sunflower.jpg on Pam's Linux machine when we are both running, or booted into Linux at the same time. She is one address (IP) and I am another. Shouldn't I just be able to use file manager and move backward from my C to see network folders, and so on? You can see this stuff using Windows "My Network Places".
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner

jenefarm@direcway.com

To go linux to linux your gonna have to use the NFS server GUI to edit the exports file on the server. (In red hat, its in system tools > network settings in the red hat menu) Then just mount the directory from the client. The mount command works like so:

mount comp_name:dir mounting_dir

So if computer1 is sharing /tmp it would look as follows:

mount computer1:/tmp /mnt/computer1

Note you may need to substitute the first computer1 with the IP Address.

Also make sure you have the NFS and the NFSLock services running on all machines on the network.

The problem I was having was only the firewall, so if it cant connect, check out your firewall.

Lastly, as you probably know, mounting is not permanent so it will need to be mounted each time you boot to linux. Im sure there is a GUI out there to do the mounting and make it auto-mount on boot, so it may be usefull to look.

Have a look at LinNeighborhood.

it sounds like to me it is not a mounting problem as much as it is a samba config problem. Login as root and have a look at smb.conf it is usually located in /etc/samba. Make sure the workgroup in smb.conf matches the desired workgroup for the rest of the network. The workgroup and netbios name is located towards the top of the file, and the shares are at the end of the file. You can setup shares in this file as follows:

[Name of Share]
    path = /home/example " can be any directory
    comment = comment about the share
    public = yes or no
    writable = yes or no
    wide links = yes or no
    users = list of users that can use share bob,admin,root,etc...
    groups = same as user but for a whole group

hope this helps you

If you cannot find a graphical SMB client like LinNeighborhood or SMB Browser that you like you can always do a smb://name_of_server/name_of_share at the command line in linux.

Also would be nice if the others could share my printer connected to my computer. We can on windows. It shows up as a shared network printer in windows.. when we are all on windows, but when we are all in Linux it's a private as it gets. No one talks to each other or shares anything.

It's times like this that I realize why I don't migrate all over to Linux instead of Windows. May be the reason that keeps the "general" public at bay with Linux. Nice systems, fair price, but so darned difficult to get things to work right. Windows is bad enought, but it's a walk in the park compared to Linux.:rolleyes2
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner