Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel

Hey all,

I'm hoping this thread won't be as troublesome as the usb modem one ! Not that I've given up on that one yet, I just feel like doing something else.

I decided recently that I wanted to compile my own kernel. I was getting errors that prevented it from compling but I think I got those sorted out now. I've installed it (maybe not properly ?) but I get a whole heap of errors as my machine boots up. I think they're module errors ? So far I've been following my APC mag linux handbook but are there any good references to help out with compiling and installing a custom kernel ?

On a kinda related note, the source code I downloaded recently for my usb modem was designed for RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2). If I have a different kernel version is that likely to cause problems ??

Thanks !

WooHoo !! I at long last have a job ! Yay for me !

----------------- Proof I think FAR too much ----------------

How does the headless horseman see where he's going ???

The Kernel How-To is a good place to start. One thing you can do is copy the original redhat kernel config to the new kernel src and load it with "make menuconfig" in a terminal to see what is enabled as modules and what is compiled in. As a rule of thumb you can compile most hardware drivers as a module but you should compile file system support into the kernel especially for the file system you use on your drives.

I'm with Bern on this one....

Generally, distros such as Mandrake or Redhat, use quite a lot of modules in their starting kernel and kernel compilation can cause a bit of a mess if those modules cannot be found. Although usually the system will be allright if the things you need are compiled in the kernel, these messages can get quite annoying and (occasionally) some configuration tools used by some distros may think something's wrong.

So, use as many modules as you can and keep exactly what you need in the kernel (filesystem support etc...)

Ok, thanks guys !

I checked out that link and it seems I've got a fair bit of reading to do !

Does down grading the kernel generally cause any problems with the distribs ?

By downgrading do you mean using an older version?

I do indeed.

I think the source code for my modem was written for kernel 2.4.2-2 and I'm currently running 2.4.7. My theory is that using this previous kernel will fix the unresolved symbols issue. May sound crazy but I'm new at this and therefore allowed !

You can give it a try but from what I've seen your modem dosn't conform to the specs enough to work properly in linux.

Conform to what specs ?! Have you gone and found MORE info about it ?? If so where ?!

It's not in the list.
    file:/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/Documentation/usb/acm.txt
    And the driver you downloaded is a binary, in other words there is no source code for it so no one can make it work apart from the company that made it and they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information