Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New to linux

Ok I'm going to download Red hat when I get back from work. I'm going to have it dual booting on my Pc. I want to play around with the code but I wouldn't really know what I'm doing. I'm going to have it dual booting with XP so if it all goes pair shaped I can still use my PC. Does anyone know of any decent tutorials on how to play with the code? What sort of things can you do? Anybody experienced with Linux?

what way do you mean "play with the code"?

Well what I mean by playing around with code is that its open source and you can change stuff in the code.

First thing would be to learn a programming language. One's that I'd recommend for use in Linux would be C or Perl.
    At the request of wiggo ;)

i don't know in what language is the kernel written but he seems to be talking about compiling his own kernel.

best man to explain abt it all to u will be Bern but i wonder where he is these days.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

He's been extremely busy.

The kernel is C, gnome is C and kde is C++.

If it's kernel compiling you want to try have a look at the Kernel-HOWTO, for info on how the kernel works see The Linux Kernel.

Thread Information