Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Suse for me * warning linux newbie just got off windows*

couple o questions......First Does SuSe linux 8.2 personal edition, Which by the way I love already, support my radeon 9200 series card?

and could anyone give me some sites I can vistit to learn on my own about the rest.:group: :confused:

SuSe 8.2 comes with Xfree86 4.3 as the x server. This does support your graphics card. To get the card working like it should, you will have to load the video driver and module for your card. I did a quick search on ATI.COM and they have a driver for your card. after the driver and module are loaded you will have to edit XFree86Config to load the driver. Find driver= in that file and add driver=nameofdriver. Hope this helps

Wowz!:eek: Sounds hard, but should be easy...after I can figure out my root password.....no I'm not joking. guess I'll have to reinstall. Then I shall go downloadeth the driver mucho thanks my friend. But, then, that would be the zen riddle. you see I'm not sure how I would do that exactly:confused: Do I use linux to download or windows as I am still reading on how to set up my modem for linux's use.

I've only had linux for a week so pardon this conundrum.

easiest thing to do would be to D/l in linux but if you can't access the internet with you linux box yet. I would download the driver via windows and burn it on a CDRW then put the CDRW in your linux box and SuSe should auto mount the CD. explore the CD and copy the executable to a directory on your hard drive. then you usually have to boot to a command prompt [you do that by typing linux single at the boot: prompt]. login as root and navigate to the directory where the driver is and type something like: sh driverfilename

then you edit the Xfree86Config file. I'm sure ATI has a detailed readme file on there website. I know Nvidia does on theirs.:)

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD
    easiest thing to do would be to D/l in linux but if you can't access the internet with you linux box yet. I would download the driver via windows and burn it on a CDRW
    why can't he access it straight from the Hard Disk? :?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    why can't he access it straight from the Hard Disk? :?
    well like DigitalDD said, it would be easiest to get it through Linux, but if he doesnt have Internet setup, he probably doesnt have a network setup. So thats where CDR comes in. :thumb:
    Right Digital? or did I skip something?

oh dumb me...: omg:
    i thought he might be having a dual boot but then doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

there are no dumb questions. if you ask something obviously its for a reason right?

I wasn't very clear in my messge anyway. I was trying to keep it fairly short..

i hope everything worked out for Orion-prime

actually i felt that there will be very few users who would have linux as the only OS on their PC's (i m not talking about you Bern) and when it comes to a newbie, i guess its next to impossible. so i just gave my view that he can just mount the drive and have it straight from there but when i read that there is no mention of dual boot, i felt a bit dumb struck :p
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information