Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knoppix Linux

That's what ya get when ya hit the New Thread button instead of the Post Reply one. :devil win

Originally posted by TeqnoHaxor
    I'm not sure Knoppix is a great teaching/learning tool, but many of those common mistakes (err what does FIPS do?) need to be made by some users :) A bootable distribution bypasses all the basic lessons on mount points and LILO etc. I actually run Knoppix on my laptop with a 256MB homedir and userconfig image file, has no problems whatsoever living on my secondary VFAT partition. As long as it's saves my XMMS playlist I'm happy.

I would love a link to that Security-orientated version of Knoppix, unfortuantely my PCMCIA Ethernet card is not recognised by the current release :( I'm not sure if it's possible to add drivers to the system after its booted without obviously burning a new image of the CD. Any help on cardmgr and the sort would be appreciated :)
    While you may not learn how to partition a machine using knoppix you will learn the ins and outs of using KDE [or whatever window manager you decide to load at bootup] for most windows only users that in itself is a big switch. you also give people an idea of the quality of the applications they'll most likely be running if they do switch in whole or in part. :thumb:

Knoppix-STD or security tools distribution is available here: http://www.knoppix-std.org/

I can't really help you with the PCMCIA ethernet card I generally stick with the major brands so I won't run into that kind of problem. Although I have heard a little about some people actually installing Knoppix to their hard drives then adding/removing packages/drivers/etc and recreating their own custom ISO of knopipix so I do know it is possible but it requires you have the time & machine to install it on.

What is KNOPPIX®?

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals.

KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

Its just I havent seen post about KNOPPIX, thats why i decided to post about it.

if you prefer GNOME over KDE then gnoppix is for you :)
    http://www.gnoppix.org/
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I'm not sure Knoppix is a great teaching/learning tool, but many of those common mistakes (err what does FIPS do?) need to be made by some users A bootable distribution bypasses all the basic lessons on mount points and LILO etc.
    I agree with this. I am learning Linux basically from scratch in command line mode, which GRUB loads me into. I have Knoppix-STD, but I find it not very useful a lot of the time other than poking around.

The best way, IMO, to learn Linux first is to learn the command line mode with all the strange commands as compared with Windows.
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information