Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Making the switch

Okay, im gonna be switching to Linux in a few weeks, and am planning on the following.

Tri-booting with RedHat, Mandrake, and XP-Pro. Any recommendations, or just general pointers on this? Also, what order should I install them in?

Switching to Linux seems to be getting popular around here :D

instal windows first. I think installing both Red Hat and Mandrake is overkill imo. You'll have your hands full just adjusting to one distro... no need to double your trouble ;) As for other tips and tricks, you should take a stroll though the Linux Links thread.

I think asklepios may have a few useful links to some guides... if you beg he might share them with you

Good Luck
    :cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well, My planning was to getthe fell of both, but mainly use oneof them, which ever I decided I liked.

here's a pretty decent Linux install guide, not sure if it's been added to the links thread: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6162
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

imo install either redhat or mandrake.
    actually mandrake is based on redhat architecture with more utilities for newbies. i would say get mandrake...feel it as much as you want and then think about moving to other faster distros like gentoo or slackware when you are comfortable with console.
    i m not recommending redhat as you might face lots of problems in installing various things and that would be so frustrating that you might decide scrapping up linux all together. (i was on verge of doing that with redhat ;) )

minibubba
    that is a really nice link. infact i planned to install linux after i read that guide :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

im affraid 2 say i dissagre, im buildin a red hat file server {9}
    an ithink it is a lot better also there is a lot less comands in red hat as mandrake has a lot less of a visual interface, also red hat is the most poularm, an if u getit workin a lot easyer 2 use,

if uve got a spare pc put it there first rather than fu**in ures up

good luck

a tip: avoid using slackware when you are just starting out, it is a very steep learning curve, i'm speaking from experience here ;)

also, if you run into any problems, http://www.linuxquestions.org is a very useful resource and has helped me a LOT throughout my linux adventure

Best of luck :thumb:

I started out changing to Lycoris (well I was a newb) and have been Mandrake since Bern gave me some 8.1 CDs early last year... now on 9.1...on the weekend I installed it on a mates old clunker with old scsi card a scsi cd burner and scanner... integrated graphics...a real relic of the past... installed everything spot on first go....no other drivers disks needed at all....no reboots....and its been up and running ever since.....let Window$ match that.....
    The older I get...the better I was

Asklepios and Alanmuvo

Your both correct Red Hair can be a bit hairy. For a desktop. They stopped gearing towards that market long ago

But for a Server Red-hat works quite well.

Cheers :cheers: :smokin:

Thread Information