Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well hello there

By going for the easier option you are just delaying the inevitable..mandrake isn't that hard to get started with and i found the installation easier than the Lycoris (bearing in mind it would get past the starting lizard on lycoris lol)

For the refresh rate you need to edit the monitor section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, change the "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" values to exactly what it says in your monitor handbook. For the Nvidia drivers download http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.....0-2802.tar.gz and http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1....0-2802.tar.gz. The readme file has all the instructions. After the install download and run nv_check.sh to verify the drivers installed and there are no conflicting openGL files left.

Thanx Bern....a real help....it is very strange being a total newb......its amazing how tempting it was to revert to the comfort zone....but with the help you fellas give its not that daunting....thanx again
    The older I get...the better I was

LOL
    I love that analogy! "the comfort zone"
    You da' man Oldbugger:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Hey Oldbugger! Haven's seen ya for a while! I've been busy making wine at the winery! And, tinkering with this computer in off hours.. LOL

I come from Western Nebraska. I thought that Nebraska was the center of the USA, Mr. C??? LOL

I've been considering adding Linux to the lineup to boot into. I use System Commander 7.0 by www.v-com.com software and dual boot either into Windows XP Home, or Windows ME version. Currenlty I'm in XP it's easy to boot into ME and both work equaly well and pretty stable, expecially the XP. I can resize my primary partion and go with another OS if I want to, and was just wondering if there is any particular "version" that would work best? I've been to a Linux web site link that listed about 12 different Linux OS's out there.. Corel Linux seemed pretty nice.

At work at Fenn Valley Vineyards, we use Windows 98SE, and a few with ME along with UNIX SCO server that connects all of them together, and runs the powerful UNIX software for certain applications.

Anyay, G'Day to ya oldbugger (i'm 48 and probably older than ya), and Nice to see ya Mr. C from S. Dakota.. land of the Black Hills!

Cheers!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

He doesn't have that nick for nothin', so we're still youngun's. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Why bother...ME is SH...not very good.

A little bit at a time...and I'm making headway.....this is great...

Hey Bern...tried the Nvidia drivers but can't get them ....whats the full details after the "XFree86_40" cause thats where Im gettin stuck.

Got the monitor params in fine...even found the DOS directories and movin stuff between OS's easily...specially the pics...hehehe

I was so bored with the vanilla Window$ crap and with the heart probs can't do much else except tinker....boy have I found some tinkering....yeehaa

PS Frost I turned 50 last September
    The older I get...the better I was

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.tar.gz and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2802.tar.gz, you unpack them by doing,
    "tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz"
    "tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz"
    then,
    "cd NVIDIA_kernel"
    "make install"
    Next, move into the NVIDIA_GLX directory,
    "cd ../NVIDIA_GLX"
    "make install"
    Note, you must install the kernel module before the glx.
    Next you need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
    Add Load "glx" to the modules section and remove (or comment out) Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" if they are there, scroll down to the device section and replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia", run the nv_check.sh script, reboot and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    I come from Western Nebraska. I thought that Nebraska was the center of the USA, Mr. C??? LOL
    Howdy neighbor!
    According to the World Almanac and Book of Facts the geographic center of the 50 states is in Butte County, South Dakota. I live about 24 miles from the monument/tourist trap erected there near Belle Fourche, SD.

Kansas is the center of the 48 conterminous states. North Dakota is where the center can be found for the North American Continent.

So I'd say - yep, I reckon your at the center of just about everything too:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information