Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help needed mounting hdd

I'm in DamnSmallLinux right now, which is a distro in which you boot from CD, based off Knoppix. I'm pretty new to Linux, I used RedHat 9 a few months ago until I reformatted and never bothered reinstalling. My problem is, I have no idea how to access or even mount my drives. I have my hard drive set up as follows:
    Partiton 1: FAT32 about 20 GB (with 98SE on it)
    Partition 2: NTFS about 6 GB (with XP Pro on it)
    Partition 3: FAT32 about 30 GB (with shared files and apps on it, no OS)
    Unpartitioned: A bit over 20GB
    All on a Maxtor 80 GB hdd.
    How do I mount these (well not the NTFS, this distro probably made pre-NTFS), if possible?
    If I can't (distro doesn't support FAT32 for some reason), how do I format the remaining free space int o ext2 or something? Also, how do I mount and format floppies?

I did a little searching and found commands but am encountering error messages(e.g. "mount: can't find hda in etc/fstab or etc/mtab" , probably to due to the fact that everything is on CD.

Can anyone help or give a link with good instructions?

The general form is :
    mount -t filesystem /device /mountpoint

so to mount your first partition you should do:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mountpoint
    check out the mount man pages for more information :cheers:

Thanks. New problem now, I need to do it as root. I don't know the root password though. This distro (as I said) is an altered knoppix, is there some sort of preconfigured root password?
    Another problem I am having is almost installing any programs. Is it because I'm putting them right into RAM (It's that or a floppy ATM and RAM's a lot faster)? Seti@home seems to be working fine. The install and readme files say to use "make" but this distro seems to be lacking in a make program, and the one I tried downloading (GNU make) said something about not being able to run C-compiled programs, which confuses the hell out of me because I thought Linux was based on C:confused: .
    Sorry for asking what are probably dumb questions. I would go read on my own some at some online help site but they all seem to start talking about CPU cache and RAM and hardware things I already know and seem to never get to important commands and such.

With some searchig I discovered that Knoppix has no root password which means you are totally locked out. But I found a command to change the passowrd of any user (even root), so now I have root access. I'll post if I still have problems mounting but I think that problem is solved. I still don't get the inability to install any programs though so any help on that would be appreciated.

Hda2 won't mount, which makes sense as it's NTFS, but hda1 and hda3 are screwed up. They show up as 16 KB and I can't do anything with them. Also, I don't know how to mount my floppy. It worked before, but I had used a feature in the GUI that doesn't work with anything else for whatever reason.

Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks. I'll do some searching and see if I can figure out mounting on my own. This should deal with my software problem though.

Thread Information