Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Desktop Linux Share Overtaking Macintosh

Market researcher IDC expects to announce within weeks that Linux' PC market share in 2003 hit 3.2%, overtaking Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh software (as reported a few weeks ago it has fallen at 1.8%, for the first time). And the researcher expects Linux to capture 6% of this market by 2007. That's still tiny compared with Microsoft's 94% share. Desktop Linux hasn't had any appreciable effect on Microsoft's finances yet, but it could do damage if Linux manages to grab a 10% share of the market, say analysts. IDC estimates that desktop Windows' share will shrink slightly, to 92% in 2007 as Linux' share doubles. The first big question though is how all this will have an effect to Apple's business.

-OSnews.com

*just something for you all to think about :devil:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Take that Microsoft and Apple. The penguin owns all.
    Doesn't Linux already have most of the market in servers though?:?:

i know it has a significant percantage of the server market, but i don't know the numbers. I'm sure the answer can be found with some searching though

Watched the movie "Revolutionary OS", which I would recomend if you like GNU/Linux, it explained in depth the begginings of GNU/Linux. Anyway, they claim that in 2001 Apache was running on 66% of the webservers. Now thats about 3 years ago, but apache doesnt mean Linux. There is apache for windows. But I am willing to be that over 1/2 of webservers are running linux.

Yeah, searches revealed pages from 3 years ago but they all said it's about 65% Apache 25% MS. They also seem to say that Windows the OS has about 45% percent, wheras Linux only has about 30%. But UNIX-based OS have about 50% of the server market. So Linux hasn't surpassed MS, but UNIX has :)

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    Watched the movie "Revolutionary OS", which I would recomend if you like GNU/Linux, it explained in depth the begginings of GNU/Linux.
    i remember watching that a few years ago (history channel I think) and it blew me away. That movie is what started me on my quest to learn all things linux. I'd recommend that movie to anyone in the IT business, just just Linux fans :)

They don't show it anymore do they? Sounds interesting but hardly seems worth a trip to a good video store. Or is there just somewhere to download it? (legally, of course)

I havn't seen it on TV since, but I don't watch much TV these days anyway. You can search around, you might find it somewhere.

Anyway, i found this graph (attached below) over at netcraft.com. It doesn't distinguish between with OS is running apache, but it sure gives a clear indication what people prefer their servers are running ;)

Edit: they also have this to say in a seprate article:
    The number of hostnames found by the Web Server Survey running Windows Server 2003 overtook NT4 this month. We now find over 1.25M hostnames running on Windows 2003, a 283% increase since August.

Comparing the operating systems with those of September 03 shows the majority of the sites to have migrated from Windows 2000 (534K), but also 55K of the sites to have migrated from Linux, 56K from FreeBSD and 8K from Solaris, with 272K of the hostnames running Win2003 new sites not previously running a different operating system.
    *now if i could just find a comparison of the OS's I'll be happy... (btw, TT is running Linux and Apache, as you can see [here] )

i just hope that more and more users realise that Linux is not for nerds. that is the silliest thing i recently heard and i didn't have anything to do but --> : omg:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Wow, Apple under 2%, even right through the CHRISTMAS SEASON !!! : omg:

THAT is amazing...

If they can't exceed 2% during Christmas, JEEZ : omg: : omg: : omg:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thread Information