Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience using Gentoo Linux?

Try changing your grub entry to:

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.22
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.22

Also, go into your boot directory and make sure that you have the correct kernel and initrd filenames :cheers:

How do i get to the boot directory again from GRUB in order to find out the kernel version? I think thats the problem since i just used the 2.4.22 from the install guide...

You'll need to boot from the livecd, then mount your partitions from there. Then you'll be able to see where you're kernel image is :cheers:

Red face Re: Experience using Gentoo Linux?

Its been like a year since i posted this topic..and i still havent gotten Gentoo Linux to run properly. I cant seem to get to the desktop and ive tried countless times. Does anyone have a simple list of commands that i can just type in, one after the other, just to get the thing to run?!! I dont want to tweak the crap out of it, i just wanna see if its any good. Im running an AMD Athlon-XP, Windows XP on the primary HD, and i want to put Gentoo on the second and use Grub to dual boot. I dont want to do any awesome tweaks, i just want it to work. The install process of the linux operating systems gives Windows a good name....It would be nice to have it all self automated. No bull****. Any help would be extremely, greatly, awesomely appriciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information