Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: where linux goes from here???

I was just wondering what will become of main distributions of linux such as Suse and Rad Hat. Suse Linux 9 does not have an iso to download, you have to download the entire tree from ftp servers and I believe Red Hat does not officially work on fedora core so there is every chance you might download an unstable OS. (This is just to know your opinions, you don't actually have to know the roadmaps of these companies to write a reply.)
    This is what I wonder the most.
    Will Linux distributors tackle Windows on home user market by making Windows look alike GUIs and integrated emulators like wine and wineX so all windows users will be able to simply install and work on linux without any confusion. Funding such projects must not be very difficult for many of these corporations, just look at Turbo Linux, they have the funding of Japanese and Chinese governments (over 200mil$) and Suse is already used vastly in gov't and city infrastructures in Germany.

just a note: I believe hardware support and driver problems are no 1 on the list why people choose windows over linux.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Last time I checked most Linux distros had much better driver support. Perfect compatibility 99% of the time without downloading drivers that might not work. As for UI, MS will probably try to make future versions more similar to Linux shells. Raise your hand if you like Explorer (:barf: ) better than Gnome or KDE.:thumbs do
    FYI, WINE isn't an emulator, and it might never be 100% functional.

But anyway, Linux seems to be growing, even though MS and other organizations have been attempting to stop it. It had nearly reached Windows in the server market (it has if you add UNIX and Linux together), and it has already passed Mac in the PC\Workstation Market. If you have a free (price and ability to change), secure OS, that has great driver support and better software (for the most part), for the most part, why use Windows? Only games and other existing software that haven't been ported or replaced (and don't work on WINE). Linux isn't even that much harder to use, most people just don't want to switch and figure out another OS.

iirc fedora is definitely worked upon by RedHat developers but don't take my word for it. SuSE have been like that for a long time now. they charge for their product but then they deserve too. isn't it? in anyways, only RH and SuSE is not the end of the world for Linux.
    "where Linux goes from here?" is a very difficult question to answer cos it has just started taking off. PC manufacturing companies have realised that they should support it more and are supplying it more and more as bundled on new PCs.
    about Linux community making Windows look-a-like GUI. well they are already working on it which i feel is quite stupid but like they say, it is a world of choice in Open Source world. you should be given choice of what you want to have on your PC and there are GUIs available that look like Windows XP shell. so its entirely your choice.
    Windows emulators like CrossOver Office is already out and supporting enormous number of Windows based apps. as you said WineX is already there for Games.
    Hardware support is extensive and you can chose your own drivers by compiling your own kernel but things are looking better as more and more companies realise that releasing drivers for Linux will help them in turn. as the time goes on, you will surely see most of your hardware being detected at the time of installation itself.
    summing it all, i would say that things are definitely looking up for Linux being a hardcore competitor for MS Operating Systems but i would not dare say it will overtake Windows in any near future.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thank you for your opinions. I agree with most of what you guys say, yet I still believe that old habits die hard.
    If companies are not willing to distribute a Linux OS where Windows users will feel mostly at home, the 2005 market dominance (I read in some old magazine in which Linux users and developers were asked in year 2000 as part of a survey, and they claimed that linux will overtake the home user market by 2005) is anything but a dream.
    Avg. user wants to double-click on anything he/she wants to run or install. They want to play all games without worrying about installing graphics card drivers by exitting x and typing out stuff. On the other hand, as asklepios pointed out as well, Suse is one of the better examples of this kind of approach; simplify the whole avg. user experience and pack in many good features (just like the wine-rack that they give with the purchase of Suse Linux 9) to tempt the windows user. Infact the first distro I had was Suse Linux 8.2 and since that windows looks like a gaming console apparatus for me.
    long live the almighty penguin :thumb:
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Thread Information