Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux is for me?

Default Re: Which Linux is for me?

Never did install it on that old rig-----it was just rotting at my other desk, now I got a nice new Dual Xeon rig to use it on (!!!!).
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

MANDRAKE ALL THE WAY!!!!!! rules in every way

Gentoo for the advance user. www.gentoo.org

Ubuntu for the novice www.ubuntu.com

Enjoy

I am a huge fan of SuSE Linux after using Redhat, Mandrake, and Slackware. I currently run SuSE Linux Enterprise Server for my company email server and I dual boot SuSE 10.1 on all of my workstations and laptops. Give this distribution a try, and I bet you will be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownclient
    Gentoo for the advance user.
    Ubuntu for the novice
    gentoo isn't for the advanced user, it's for the nerd living in this mom's basement with too much time on his hands :-P

ubuntu, however, is an excellent distro regardless off experience. just because it has an easy-to-use GUI for most tasks doesn't mean it's only for "novices"

the full range of bash commands and text-only apps are still there if using a mouse makes your e-peen shrivel

Hi, guys, n00bie here, thanks for all the good info, and sorry for butting into your thread like this.
    My regular PC is a p4 2.8 running xp pro but I also have a couple of ooold systems that are still somewhat functional: a p1 133 and a a p2 266.
    The p2 sys has 128mb ram, and is currently running win98se, but I'm thinking of installing slackware or some other flavor of linux on it. I never tried installing xp on it.
    Eventually if I can get it running slackware, I might switch to slackware on my p4 as well. Or is that just a waste of time?
    J Browne

I'd agree with going for Ubuntu. It's easy to use GUI makes it very friendly for the first time Linux user. and the newer versions have a very easy to use setup, just boot from the live CD and run the installers and sit back and play the games on the disc for familiarize yourself with the new surroundings. It also is very easy to find support for it if you run into something that you don't know or can't figure out.
    BRING IT ON!!!!

Suse has one advantage over the rest - its supported/implemented by Novell, so if your thinking of an it career - suse is the one to go for

Indeed, SUSE is owned entirely by Novell and is about the most common commercially-used Linux, right next to the similar Redhat/Fedora. Ubuntu and Slackware seem to be really popular among enthusiasts, but for actual IT use SUSE is the way to go. When I finally get around to forcing myself to use Linux (beyond Smoothwall and Knoppix, that is), I'll be teaching myself entirely Suse.

For actually using it, I'd probably be trying out Ubuntu as that's what everyone seems to like.

Ubuntu is a good distro for beginners, yet is very powerful if you go behind the scenes, at it were. Also, one of the major good things about Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, or Xubuntu, etc.) is that you can order the CDs and they get delivered for free. Nice if you don't have a fast connection, or if your ISP has some rather restrictive download limits. My two cents. (And apologies for dredging this thread back from the dead.)
    AMD Athlon64 3500+
    512MB RAM Elixir DDR2
    Abit NF-95 Mobo.
    Seagate 80GB EIDE HDD
    Colorsit ATX-S8027
    400W PSU.
    Debian Etch.
    Solaris10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information