Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP-Linux dual boot info ??

i ment it in a nice way, i started to answer....but couldn't remember if mandrake will create its own partition so i just thought i wud say that bern wud answer when he saw it. Wasn't trying to be nasty or nething :D

Thanks a lot, folks for all the replies. I am going with a Gigabyte 8IRXP board and P4 Northwood- if any experience with this board, please let me know, Thx. I shall be back as soon as I get all my hardware with more questions.
    So long, Happy Tweaking.

:wave:

I have 3 Operating systems on my machine, and it's pretty simple and straight forward to have System Kommander from www.v-com.com take care of the partitioning. It has the Mandrake Linux (plus several other flavors) alread figured in. I told the OS Install wizzard that I wanted to install Linux, and when prompted "Mandrake" and it set me up with a "customizable " size to put Mandrake into and also created my custom swap file in drive "d" for me (64 recommended at least.. mine is 95MB.. but I have 640MB RAM too). It started... resized my C drive, moved and verified files and folders.. created the space I told it too and set it up as a Linux partition Ext2 and a swap file. Then I formatted the linux partition while in Patition Commander, the primary patition and the extended swap file partition.. it hid and protected other OS on my machine such as XP and ME.. So when I booted from the CD ROM, Mandrake found the Linux partition already there.. installed to it (hda4) and now I go to ME, XP or Mandrake Linux.. think I'll also set up this for Redhat too, since a friend of mine is downloading that. *S*

Works great! I wouldn't want to run my computer without it. Really!

Cheers!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection