Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two items to update

I left it as the default. I thought it pulled what it needed to complie into the kernel from the linux/.config which I copied from linux-2.4.5/.config to linux/.config. I did look under the ethernet controllers in menuconfig, I didn't see anything that specifically said tulip. Maybe I'll attempt this process:

copy the .config file from the previous source directory to the new source tree

make oldconfig
    make dep
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

We'll see, wish meh luck.

That will work, dont forget to do "make mrproper" first if your going to recompile the same kernel, and copy over the .config after as mrproper will remove it and leave you with a completly clean source tree.

Ok, that didn't go well. I got alot of unresolved symbols. Although I did do "make clean" after I did "make dep" I just forgot to include it in my previous post.

My problem is that when I run "make menuconfig", I don't know what half of the stuff is. I'm really just looking to update the kernel, but keep the config the same. I don't want to add anything new. I still want what was loading in the kernel to do so, I also want what was loading as module to continue doing so. I just don't know how.

cd to the 2.4.18 kernel source and do "make mrproper" first, this will clean the entire tree including the kernel you built first, then copy the old .config etc.

So you're saying to

1) Extract the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18

2) Change to the new kernel directory ("cd /usr/drc/linux-2.4.18")

3) "make mrproper" This will clear the source tree

4) Copy the config from my previous working kernel (for a stock slack kernel do "cp linux-2.4.5/.config linux-2.4.18/.config")

5) "make menuconfig" This should pick up how I had my previous kernel setup. And I don't want to change anything if that's the case. So I just exit and let it save the kernel.

6)make dep
    6a) make clean
    7) make bzImage
    8) make modules
    9) make modules_install

and then re-boot

I'm gonna try now

Originally posted by FA-MAS
    [B]So you're saying to

1) Extract the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
    Yes.
    [b]
    2) Change to the new kernel directory ("cd /usr/drc/linux-2.4.18")
    First, you should make a sym link called linux that points to the kernel source you want to compile, you might need to rename the stock kernel from linux to linux-2.4.5 first and then do "ln -s linux-2.4.18 linux" to create the link.
    [b]
    3) "make mrproper" This will clear the source tree
    Only do this in a kernel source that you've already made a kernel from, not needed for a fresh source.
    [b]
    4) Copy the config from my previous working kernel (for a stock slack kernel do "cp linux-2.4.5/.config linux-2.4.18/.config")
    Yes.
    [b]
    5) "make menuconfig" This should pick up how I had my previous kernel setup. And I don't want to change anything if that's the case. So I just exit and let it save the kernel.
    Yes.
    [b]
    6)make dep
    6a) make clean
    7) make bzImage
    Don't forget you can do "make install" in slack with a properly prepared lilo.conf
    [b]
    8) make modules
    9) make modules_install

and then re-boot

I'm gonna try now
    ICQ me if you need more in depth info.

Still those unresolved symbols. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna re-install from scratch. Just so that I have a clean install. It will be using kernel 2.4.5. Then I'll ICQ you and maybe you would help me walkthough it?

Go for it :)

w00t! I fianlly got it the way I want. Here's what I did. All logged in as root.

1. went to kernel.org and got the full source
    2. cd to /usr/src, removed the linux symlink
    3. Extract the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
    4. Re-created the symlink pointing linux to linux-2.4.18/
    5. Went to ftp.slackware.com and downloaded the .config file for their bare.i bootdisk based off of kernel 2.4.18 <--this was my edit, it said 2.5.18

6. Copied the .config to the new kernel tree
    7. Ran "make oldconfig", It ran through clean because the slackware creator had already set it up the way I wanted

7. Ran "make dep"
    8. Ran "make clean"
    9. Ran "make bzImage"
    10. Ran "make install", of course I edited my lilo.conf. I can boot both kernels now.

11. Ran "make modules"
    12. Ran "make modules_install"
    13. Re-booted

And it didn't blow up and is working for me flawlessly.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information