Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Here's one for you Bern

I know this is a stupid question since I have used Linux for years now but here it goes. I recently downloaded the final release of KDE3.0 and compiled and installed with no errors, but now when I load X all my programs are gone and I am crashing everytime I try and run Konquerer. Bern what can I do to link all my programs back. I see that they are there but KDE is telling me that they are missing.

As a total newb to linux..I was reading the info on KDE.org about installing KDE3.0.....it had a whole section on just your problem and what to do....it seems pretty simple (famous last words)....you might actually have to use the LAST resort....read the doco
    The older I get...the better I was

KDE 3 breaks binary compatability with KDE 2x, I'm going to wait untill the all apps I use have been ported to v3 or for slack 8.1 which should have kde3 as default. I've been having a look at kde 3 for the last couple of days but have now reverted back to kde2, thats why I've been away from the forums for a few days, Its a big job swapping around kde and qt installs.

yeah i know, I am on KDE2 again now also.

I tried EXPORT KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
    EXPORT PATH=$KDEDIR bin:$PATH

to get my apps over to KDE3 but it hosed kde2 and kde3

guess we will have to wait.

Originally posted by ne0z
    [B]yeah i know, I am on KDE2 again now also.

I tried EXPORT KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
    EXPORT PATH=$KDEDIR bin:$PATH

to get my apps over to KDE3 but it hosed kde2 and kde3

guess we will have to wait.
    Same thing happened to me, I spent a couple of days playing with KDE3 and Mandrake 8.2, thats why I've been away from the forums. What I did first though, was to make a complete system back up with Mondo-Rescue and then formatted both my drives for a look at drake followed by a slack install and a test of KDE3 (both the binary packages and from source), then I formatted again and restored everything from mondo.

Is the final release of Mandrake 8.2 packaged with KDE3 already?

No, it had kde2.2.2.

that is what i thought

Bern and everyone else. I have found a way to import all applications into the new KDE3.0 while reserving binary compat. You can use the program menu drake that comes with KDE2 and apply the setting to all envirnoments. That will put everythng in KDE3 and make it work. Hope this helps

edit: it works for everything except Samba 2.2.0, I am having to compile 2.2.3a now.

Thread Information