Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qualified Host name?? DNS server???

You need to install the jre as root, start moz or ns as root and go to the netscape download center to get it.

OK, thanks for the tip Bern. (LOL it sounds so obvious after hearing it from you -- oh dopey me:D )
    I don't know if I'll get to it today or not, but I'll give it a whirl.
    Best I've gotten off that server is 2800 bps so far so it'll take a while.

Wish there was a way to tie the JRE2 in Netscape to the Mozilla browser. Oh well, I'd probably not understand it if you whispered it in my ear:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Once you've got the jre installed in netscrape just copy the contents of the plugins directory to mozilla's pluging directory and do "ldconfig".

Well????????????

OK, Sun's JRE2 has been installed in both Mozilla and Netscape.
    Yet somehow I am incapable of getting the chat windows to display? The Java loads, and the page says I am entering - but never does the chat console actually open??

This is becoming less than amusing at a rapid rate!
    Is there a browser for Linux available that is actually compatible with common functions found on the internet today?
    I freely admit, I am no whiz at Linux, but I am beginning to wonder if there is any value to learning it further.
    I truly love some of the functions and tools I have available to me in this OS. I am even willing to sacrifice the use of my better audio device in order to use it.
    But this open source has got to be willing to meet me at least half-way?!?!

I am more than a bit disgusted at this point.
    There is no reason in my opinion that I should have to turn to Windows to have access to the internet.

As I understand it, the open source community is quite familiar with the internet, so what software do they use to utilize this technical marvel?

</rant>

:cry:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Post the url to the chat and I'll have a look at it.

That would be much appreciated!
    But it would probably be a big hassle for you.

Anyway, it's the TechTV chat. Rather round-about way of getting there as they have their chat hosted by Compuserve.

Have to start at http://www.techtv.com/interact/chat

Then click the link "TechTV chat" at the top of the body of the page.

That opens a new window where you login (there's the part where it would be a hassle for you - establishing an ID for 1 use)
    Then you get to the WUGNET Forum page, ( http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforum...ort&CHATROOM=3 ) and the Java loads from there.

On my Windows box at that point I begin to chat - with Linux, nothing?
    I've tried upgrading both Mozilla and Netscape and still nothing?
    AARGH!

It works in konqueror, I'll check it out in netscape and mozilla tomorrow.

Knoquerer just gives me a "javascript alert" saying that I have to enable javascript then refresh the page.

I have enabled java & javascript globally. As well as adding an accept for the specific domain.

Additionally I have selected that Knoquerer should load any applet internally.

After repeated attempts, I still do not get the applet to load.

It appears I am too stupid to get a simple chat to function in anything but Windows.

This has become far beyond fuking ridiculous!
    I am on the verge of throwing something here.:no:

Ok. So you've only got the netsrcape java plugin installed? Why dont you try downloading the sun v1.3.1 jsdk and installing that, then point konq's java to it following the instructions on this page.

I can feel for ya Mr. C !! I have had a bit of a struggle myself getting things working in the best of time..mostly is has been the "worst of time" LOL Today, I went to log out of KDE and Login to Gnome. When I loged out and it went to the login part, my mouse froze and ceased to be anthing more useful than to chew on in frustration.. *G* Even if I 'tabed' and went into Gnome the mouse didn't work.. Thank God for this little "windows" key on my keyboard. At least I was able to click it and logout and shut down. Then... I find out when that happens if I hit "ctrl" "alt" "backspace" it resets itself to reconfigureing or something like that.. anyway the mose is working , but the worst part is not knowing exactly what I did to cause that snafu.. by the way, that's a WW II saying "Situation Normal All Fu***d Up" LOL

Cheers!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection